growth inside intake tube... maybe brown algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I noticed today that I seem to have some build up on my intake tubes that looks like brown algae maybe... I dobt currently have any pictures but maybe someone could help solve the riddle

It's most like Diatoms, also often called brown algae. It's totally harmless, I have it form around/on my intake tube and along the back of my tank. It feeds on silicates in your water.

Could I swap my intake tubes and leave the ones with the growth for my BNP?? I have 2 and they both so small they'd both fit in one tube at the same time lol

sure. It will probably grow back on the new one. I'm not sure how much BNPs go after diatoms but it's worth a shot. I know some algae eaters prefer green algae over diatoms and vise versa but it's worth a shot.

How old is the tank? There is usually a period in the first several months where diatoms can be a pain and eventually you use up the majority of the silicates and they start to die out. Upsets in the tank like large water changes can bring about a "bloom" of them again but it's a problem that usually solves itself. You can also just wash rub them off of stuff too.

Mine was about 7 months old and had JUST lost it's diatoms. I just tore it down to upgrade and I'm just waiting for it all to come back. lol. In all of my reading it seems 6-9 months is the norm for them to go away but like everything else there are lots of factors in there.

Very true... now that brings up another question.

Im about to set up a 40g breeder for 4 GBR and 12 cardinal tetra and maybe another BNP..

I know that GBR dont tolerate crappy water and must be added after everything matures... but I was curious, are these diatoms(sp) what makes the water crappy?

Very true... now that brings up another question.

Im about to set up a 40g breeder for 4 GBR and 12 cardinal tetra and maybe another BNP..

I know that GBR dont tolerate crappy water and must be added after everything matures... but I was curious, are these diatoms(sp) what makes the water crappy?

No they are harmless. In some cases algae growth can be a byproduct of crappy water. Like too much nitrates, but it's not the cause. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have crummy water you know?

Just get your tank cycled and keep your perimeters in the good ranges. Ammo and nitrites at 0, nitrates below 20. You want your PH and temp stable like with any fish to avoid shocking them and they will be fine. If you want to be sure I would fish less cycle the tank to get a good solid BB growth going. When fish in cycling there is always an adjustment period when adding new fish so when you added the 4 GBR that would cause some spikes. Fish less cyling will build your cycle up much higher than the bioload of the rams so you can add everyone at once.

Back
Top Bottom