Guess I spoil him after all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking at the betta in my community tank and i realize he looks more like a platy! Not dropsy..he is FAT! Oh no!
How can you put one fish on a diet amongst 26 fish? :lol:

It is all my fault..every time he does a trick while i am looking I give him a blood worm or a micropellet.. I never see him eat at feeding time..but obviously he is getting some chow..^_^
He is not as large as my Christmasfish or the half-giant in stature, but I bet he weighs more!

My lfs guy said I spoil my fish because my betta start lining up when someone takes a flyswatter off the wall and hand feed my knife scallops..
if he saw S.Herbert he'd be justified! :oops: :lol:
No more food for tricks this month!

You could float a breeder box in the tank and stick him in there for a while. He sure is FAT though. I'd be a little worried about his health being that fat. It can't be good for him. What other fish you got in that community?

My fish as all masters of swimming right up against the glass when someone walks by the tank. About once every couple of weeks I break down and drop some extra food in the tank for them because they look so desperate as they run into the glass and each other :roll: I am presuming Christmasfish's Betta does something far more entertaining to get those treats :)

LOL . . . Puff Daddy . . .
My fish all clamor to one end whenever I approach the tank the way I normally do when I feed them, but I would have thought they would differenciate b/t that and actually feeding because I drum the top of the tank when I'm about to feed them so they know. But they haven't quite solidified the difference just yet!
Yeah, go for the breeder box, that'd be the best option to keep Mr. Roly-Poly there alone and get him to . . . *ahem* . . . trim down a tad! :wink:

His current on-command and at random trick repetoire is:
Upsy: a tail stand
Koi: begging by sticking head out of water and moving mouth exaggerated
Jump: coming 4 inches up to a treat on a stick end
Swishy: a defined, exaggerated "betta dance"
Bad fish: a very stiff flare posture
Git!: to chase any fish that I point out by index when I say that (keeps the penguins polite to the otos and mangos, since he doesn't drop "git" until the target actually goes away)
OhNo!: Floating sideways at the surface.

Bad fish is random (it is hard because he has to coast as he stiffens and flares out) and Upsy is. He is not as talented as blackbeard since there are no tricks in progress behind this 7.
He doesn't pirroette either.~sniff~
His motivation is attention and treat (scallop bits, micro pellets, broken up formula one pellets, bloodworms and baby crickets)

Anyone know some diet food..for fish?
There is always food around because the bottom feeders. Sherbert always gets a scallop piece with Dutch to keep him from stealing Dutch's. I feed heavy or the clowns become thugs

His tankmates?
1-BKG ..................Dutch
3-ClownLoaches.....Tony Bernardo Maria
2-Mangoe pleco .....No name and Picklepuss
4-oto babies...........No name light, no name large and CoorsLight
5-red phantoms......Tippy, Chiptip, pumpkin, boots and Red
3-apple snails ........Lilo, Stitch, and Dabloon
6-penguinfish ........Twitcher, Happy, Sushi, Flip, Speedy, and lil ZZ
8-rummynose .......Rudolph, W.C., Pestopotomus, Glowia, Drunken
.. midget & the others nameless

Back
Top Bottom