Guppies & Mollys in a 10 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xshbx1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi There,
I'm new to owning a fish tank and to the world of owning/ maintaining an aquarium.

I currently have a full size black molly, an adolescent black molly and a adolescent dalmatian molly in a 10 gallon tank. 1 of them also had babies cuz I saw a TEENY TINY Fish swimming around which wasn't there, but sadly I can't see him anymore so either he died or he's hiding.

I'd love to add either another black molly or 2 guppies.

I understand the 1 inch / per fish /per gallon rule so I don't want to exceed 10 inches of fish in total but wondering if I can do the above combo without overcrowding my fish tank.

Thoughts? Advice?

Please let me know!

Thank you!
xshbx1

Guppies & Mollys in a 10 Gallon?

I like 30g or larger for Mollies. I won't ever recommend them for a 10g. Very active fish.

I would return Mollies and get Guppies or Endlers.

If you want larger you could maybe do a trio of Platies ...without other fish.

1"/gal not used anymore. Doesn't take into account activity level or aggression.

I find Mollies to be very pushy about food. I class them as Semi Aggressive.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1101+2089&pcatid=2089

They are active fish that poop a lot. I'd say you need to stock appropriately for a 10g.

Live Aquaria has pretty good info.
AqAdvisor can help also.
http://aqadvisor.com

We are happy to help, but you may not always like our advice. Just remember stores often sell young fish, not full grown. You need to learn about your fish before you buy. Many stores will sell you anything.

For 10g ?

1. Single Betta and Ghost Shrimp

2. Cherry Shrimp tank, Snails or Otos added later.

3. Nano fish; celestial Pearl Danios, micro rasboras, Endlers, I like a large group of one fish. I'd do 6 CPDs and some tiny Cory Cats. 5 C habrosus or C pygmaeus
Total stock of 10-12 tiny fish if you have plenty of plants. Cherry Shrimp can live with them also. These fish all stay under an inch. They need live plants.

1 or 2 of this and that can cause shy fish, nippy fish. Short lifespans from stress.
Most fish need to be in groups of their own kind.

Enjoy your tank, read, read, read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
10 gallon tanks are frequently marketed as starter tanks even though they are a bad choice. Larger tanks have more stable conditions and are easier to maintain in the long run.

Keeping your stocking levels low and performing 30% water changes once a week will go a long way towards success.

A good fish for smaller tanks is the Endler's livebearer, a type of wild guppy.

Personally I think 10g tanks should be left for bettas and small schooling fish. When I first started I kept 2 mollies in a 10g and one ended up killing the other. Now I won't keep them in anything smaller than a 55. For your 10g try a couple guppies and shrimp. They seem to get along real well :)

Keep calm and drum on

Back
Top Bottom