Guppy Behavior, Weird?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so my sister has a small tank, but it isnt cycled. She wants a guppy and saw one he really liked at the lfs today. So, we bought it, and i have acclimated it to my established 40 gallon planted community tank for the time being untill her tank is ready. I have,

5 hatchetfish
10 glowlight tetras
1 smaller angel
1 peacock eel
1 featherfin cat

So far, the guppy has been acting weird and since i have never had/wanted guppys before, i know practically nothing about them. Some things i have noticed are that the tetras like to chase it, and nip the little guys long fins. To help, i turned the lights out, and fed the little buggars. But the little guppy is a little strange, or i think he is.

1. He shakes constantly, like his entire body. When hes moving or not. Natural?
2. He is being nipped. Will my tetras stop this? Should i put him in a breeder net or what?
3. He swims around alot, but only near the surface. Do they get o2 from the surface? Or is this not natural?

Thanks guys. I didnt really like the guppy much, but i am growing fond of it (sorta) lol. I just dont ever want to loose fish, no matter what type, and i want him to be happy and unstressed. And i REALLY dont want the little guy to break out in ich, and start THAT all over again. One outbreak is enough!

Sorry for writing my life's story on here, hope your eyes dont hurt now lol.

Thanks!

Hmmm, now the little guy just kind of swims in place near the top. He looks alright, but stressed? He looks like a fish with ADD but isnt allowed to move around, just in one spot. If that made sense lol

IMO sounds like your guppy is stressed out. Are these the glowlight tetras? If so that's strange, I kept neons with guppies and they didn't do anything to them.

Test your water. Then find out where the LFS has been getting these from, how long they've had them, and if they can test your water.

How'd you acclimate and for how long?

IDK about swimming on the top, so I won't comment.

bruinsbro1997 said:
IMO sounds like your guppy is stressed out. Are these the glowlight tetras? If so that's strange, I kept neons with guppies and they didn't do anything to them.

Test your water. Then find out where the LFS has been getting these from, how long they've had them, and if they can test your water.

How'd you acclimate and for how long?

IDK about swimming on the top, so I won't comment.

Ya, the glowlights. They are bery active little guys. He looks stressed bec of the new enviroment. I tested water 2 days ago and got amm:0 trite:0 trate:10

The lfs has had them for at least 2 weeks, possibly 3 and this was one of the last ones. Looks healthy and such, but stressed in my tank.

I acclimated for around an hour or 45 minutes, putting water in the floating bag 4 times throughout the process.

The shaking constantly sounds like it may be the shimmies. That would explain why glowlights who are usually very peaceful are being nippy. They may realize he's sick and are trying to take him out.

siva said:
The shaking constantly sounds like it may be the shimmies. That would explain why glowlights who are usually very peaceful are being nippy. They may realize he's sick and are trying to take him out.

Really? I mean, its not a twitch, but a movement. You know when they swim, they shake their bodys and tail? That.

Back
Top Bottom