Guppy tank problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

britinlincoln

Aquarium Advice Newbie
30 gal guppy tank has developed a MAJOR issue recently; found ALL of them in 2 groups at opposite ends of the aquarium and the water VERY cloudy with a lot of dead floaters! 50% water change made NO difference.

SO, after removing the dead ones (mainly males) I netted the rest into a bucket. I removed and disposed of ALL the gravel, cleaned the tank with vinegar/water solution, put fresh cleaned gravel into the aquarium and filled with de chlorinated water. THEN after cleaning out the external box filter, I replaced the cartridges and finally re introduced the fish.

Evrything was fine for 48 hours; now the guppies have pooled into 2 groups again, at the surface at opposite ends of the tank! The Plec and the Cory's are doing fine! Water quality is excellent with almost 0 Nitrite and nitrate. Water is hard but that is normal for W Texas.

Any ideas ? :fish2:

I had the same thing happen. My problem was velvet. Males died first and the females died after giving birth. I lost $300.00 worth of guppies. Are your fish scrapping along plants or ornaments in the tank. I never SAW any problems, except the rubbing, until a mouth fungus was visible. Most were dead long before then. I had to totally break down my tank and start over. Hope you don't have to resort to this. I'll be thinking of you.
Namaste,
Gypsy

britinlincoln said:
30 gal guppy tank has developed a MAJOR issue recently; found ALL of them in 2 groups at opposite ends of the aquarium and the water VERY cloudy with a lot of dead floaters! 50% water change made NO difference.

SO, after removing the dead ones (mainly males) I netted the rest into a bucket. I removed and disposed of ALL the gravel, cleaned the tank with vinegar/water solution, put fresh cleaned gravel into the aquarium and filled with de chlorinated water. THEN after cleaning out the external box filter, I replaced the cartridges and finally re introduced the fish.

Evrything was fine for 48 hours; now the guppies have pooled into 2 groups again, at the surface at opposite ends of the tank! The Plec and the Cory's are doing fine! Water quality is excellent with almost 0 Nitrite and nitrate. Water is hard but that is normal for W Texas.

Any ideas ? :fish2:

Based on your description, In my opinion your fish are dying due to ammonia and nitrites poisoning. But before we can give you a better diagnosis, can you answer the following questions:
How long have you have this tank running with fish?
Did you cycled the tank (Nitrogen cycle)?
How many guppies, corys, were originally in the tank?
How are you measuring ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Liquid test? Or strips?
What are your readings of the above?

Looks to me that the tank was having high levels of ammonia, when you did 50% water change, you diluted the ammonia, but not enough, then you re-did the whole tank, including the filter (new cartridges), this process eliminated the ammonia(for a short period of time) but also removed the good bacteria from the filter.
if your fish now are stressed, the chances are high that they will start to develop some illness. Read the link attached to my signature to understand better the Nitrogen cycle, you will need to do a daily partial water changes to save the remaining fish. Because you are cycling the tank with fish now.

Ammonia and nitrite tests are zero! (as would be expected as tank has been stripped down and re started 72 hours ago now).

test STRIPS.

About 30 guppies, 4 corys and 1 plec with no problems for about 18 months. And based on your link, u r basically saying I might as well kiss the guppies, corys and plec goodbye ?

no, do lots of water changes and test your water regularly and you can save them
that link will tell you how to safely cycle so you can save your remaining fish

Hi!
Test strips are known for being highly inaccurate. You my actually have ammonia in the tank. It certainly sounds like it. Start off with some large water changes and see if they improve.
When you say stripped the tank did you change the filter media? If you did, you have thrown you tank into a cycle. The cloudiness sounds like a bacteria bloom.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/246850-bacterial-blooms-explained/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Based on your description, In my opinion your fish are dying due to ammonia and nitrites poisoning. But before we can give you a better diagnosis, can you answer the following questions:
How long have you have this tank running with fish?
Did you cycled the tank (Nitrogen cycle)?
How many guppies, corys, were originally in the tank?
How are you measuring ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Liquid test? Or strips?
What are your readings of the above?

Looks to me that the tank was having high levels of ammonia, when you did 50% water change, you diluted the ammonia, but not enough, then you re-did the whole tank, including the filter (new cartridges), this process eliminated the ammonia(for a short period of time) but also removed the good bacteria from the filter.
if your fish now are stressed, the chances are high that they will start to develop some illness. Read the link attached to my signature to understand better the Nitrogen cycle, you will need to do a daily partial water changes to save the remaining fish. Because you are cycling the tank with fish now.
Except yer link refers to FISHLESS cycling......

I had the same thing happen. My problem was velvet. Males died first and the females died after giving birth. I lost $300.00 worth of guppies. Are your fish scrapping along plants or ornaments in the tank. I never SAW any problems, except the rubbing, until a mouth fungus was visible. Most were dead long before then. I had to totally break down my tank and start over. Hope you don't have to resort to this. I'll be thinking of you.
Namaste,
Gypsy

Already had to break down and re start the tank; not velvet or ick or any other external parasite

britinlincoln said:
Except yer link refers to FISHLESS cycling......

You right, sorry, I was just trying to make you aware of the Nitrogen cycle, but I'm glad to hear that there is not sign of illness.
You will need to keep the PWC and monitor as suggested by other members.

Back
Top Bottom