Has anyone already thought of doing this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone thought about doing a "stocking small tanks" sticky/article? Since I've been on these forums I feel like I've seen over and over again people asking about fish for small aquariums. New aquarists seem to be drawn to them for obvious reasons, you'd think small would be easier and a lot of people (myself included) are limited by space and budget.

Now, I'm not saying we could solve everyone's stocking questions with one, but it might be a really nice starting point for some people that just want some suggestions of basic species that might work for a tank they have or are thinking of purchasing.

As opposed to the other sites that I've found stocking information at doing a sticky or article from AA would benefit from a group coming up with a list, rather than a single person in a single area of the country.

I'd love to do something like this, but I've only had my own fish tank a year and I obviously don't have the experience with multiple species that many members on these forums have.

Anyone interested??? I'm happy to write for it, as you may tell from my long winded posts I love to write....

I like this idea, since I currently live in a flat. My fish are split between two tanks.

Here's of my favorite micro fish for pico tanks 5-10g
Harlequin boras (all color variations)
Axelrod boras
Oto cats
Pygmy corydoras
Celestial pearl danios
Longfin leopard danio
Golden white cloud minnow (longfin)
Blushing xray tetra
Von rio tetra
Pea puffs
Sparkling gourami
Betta
Dwarf chain loach
Varying forms of small bodied barbs and tetra

15-20g (all of the above included)
Paradise gourami
Diamond tetra
Long finned medium bodied barbs and tetras
Dwarf bristlenosed pleco
Dwarf gourami
Mollies
Platys
Variatus
Some rainbows and Killifish

Nano and pico tanks are very volatile in their water parameters and require constant monitoring and water changes- over filtration and water motion are definitely appreciated- hopefully more people share their list of favorites!!

I would like to make a heavy planted 5 in the future..and add some small guys to it. I've seen some really awesome 5s on here.

This is a great idea! Here is one handy site that gives a pretty good idea on nano stocking: Stocking 5, 10 and 20 Gallon FW Aquariums

Thanks, Azmodan! I actually have seen that one, but got some corrections to the list from other people on the forums which is what made me think of maybe we should do an AA one. :) But you're right, I should totally use that one as a starting point!

Scottyhorse said:
There is one on TPT

I tried finding this, but couldn't get to the actual list. They had a thread about it, but I couldn't find the organized list....do you have it bookmarked or linked that you could show me?

And thanks, ktomminello, for the start to the list! I think I'll start collecting lists of species, and maybe post a new thread with the list for members to correct or add to once I've got a start.

Glad to see some interest!!

I know there's a subforum for nano tanks on TPT but it's mostly just 98% plant/hardware discussion (as you'd expect). A general write up on appropriate fauna for nano tanks would be great to have considering how many people ask what to stock their 5 and 10 gals with!

Back
Top Bottom