having huge problem with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MetalHeadX343

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I need a solution for clearing up cloudy aqaurium water caused by algae. The algae not on the walls of my aquarium for I have pond snails and a pleco. Its being caused by my alage wafers for my pleco. Is there some kind of uv light or something I can buy to keep my water clear? Its gotten pretty bad and I just moved so I had to drain all the water. The problem first started when I had an explosion of these pond snails and they would get on the alage wafers and take forever to eat them so it just disolved into the water. I have a fairly large pleco and I feed him one algae waffer every other day I should be feeding him more but I simply can't feed him anymore because it disolves and I really don't want to use letuce or cucumbers cause the snails will go bonkers and they are well managed now by my assain snails.... any advice

Hi there.
You say you had a population explosion of snails. Snails eat ALOT so maybe you had overfed a bit? I've babysat plecos for friends extended periods of time in the past. I fed as much fresh greens as possible and sinking shrimp pellets everyother day. Maybe twice a week algae disc or waffer. All the common, goldnugget, sailfin and clowns I've looked after relished fresh frozen leaves of kale or romaine lettuce. Freezing them really softens or tenderizes them and when thawed w/warm tankwater plecos cant resist em.

Back
Top Bottom