Healing fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a couple of guppies that have some nipped fins, aside from keeping water as clean as possible what can I do to help the fins heal?

Keep calm and drum on

That's really all you need to do. You might want to remove the aggressor or else they are just going to get chewed up again.

The culprit has been removed and placed in a 2.5 tank until her new home is ready. It was a female betta which is strange because the other females and guppies get along. She will be rehomed to a 55g once the water is ready.

Keep calm and drum on

I heal bettas who have had their fins nipped and I love melafix or stress coat plus. I've done one dose a night for a week and their fins are back and gorgeous! I seriously suggest either. Here is a before and after of my new guy, Burnie. This is one week of stress coat plus!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431966554.414571.jpg

46g Red tailed shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras

It is notable that there have been a lot of reports of labyrinth fish dying from using products like melafix.

I heal bettas who have had their fins nipped and I love melafix or stress coat plus. I've done one dose a night for a week and their fins are back and gorgeous! I seriously suggest either. Here is a before and after of my new guy, Burnie. This is one week of stress coat plus!View attachment 272468

Was that also normal dose with melafix for suggested treatment period on bottle? No troubles?

Please, please answer - just curious on melafix vs betas as I came to a different conclusion to what the old websites on this concluded (or the med has been since modified).

Was that also normal dose with melafix for suggested treatment period on bottle? No troubles?

Please, please answer - just curious on melafix vs betas as I came to a different conclusion to what the old websites on this concluded (or the med has been since modified).

Yes, that is the suggested period and dose that I use/used. I've had a good experience with melafix and I use/used it on all of my bettas because I get the sickest ones from cups at petco and heal them. I've never had a fish die from it or get infected from it.

Yes, that is the suggested period and dose that I use/used. I've had a good experience with melafix and I use/used it on all of my bettas because I get the sickest ones from cups at petco and heal them. I've never had a fish die from it or get infected from it.

Many thanks for the reply. Do you add it near the filter or anything special?

Does the stress coat plus have any of the melaleuca in it? Not sure if that is the right spelling, but that is the helpful ingredient in Melafix.

Does the stress coat plus have any of the melaleuca in it? Not sure if that is the right spelling, but that is the helpful ingredient in Melafix.

No, stress coat plus uses aloe Vera as its active ingredient whereas melafix uses melaleuca. That's why I use both. Some fish heal faster/better with SC+ and others heal faster/better with melafix. :)

Ok then I will try the stress coat plus. My betta has shredded fins, yet seems to be feeling fine and eating. This has been going on for weeks. I used melafix to no avail, so now I will try the sc+. Many thanks.

Ok then I will try the stress coat plus. My betta has shredded fins, yet seems to be feeling fine and eating. This has been going on for weeks. I used melafix to no avail, so now I will try the sc+. Many thanks.

No problem :) good luck with your little guy

Back
Top Bottom