Heat!!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puffymcstuff

Aquarium Advice Freak
My aquarium has been hovering around 79-83 for several weeks now, even when I have turned the heater down a lot, and have left the lid off to let heat escape, nothing seems to be working! I need to lower the temperature for the fishes sake! Tips!!?

Turn on the AC! Unless your heater has went south and isn't turning off when it should be. If your house is hot, the tank will be too. If your house is still low 70's and you don't have it in a window, then I'd suspect your heater needs replaced.

mfdrookie516 said:
Turn on the AC! Unless your heater has went south and isn't turning off when it should be. If your house is hot, the tank will be too. If your house is still low 70's and you don't have it in a window, then I'd suspect your heater needs replaced.

My mom refuses to turn on the AC! I have my fan on high and the heater on low, I think when I turned it up for the winter (it was getting way too low!) I left it, and it's not able to go back down!

If your house is hot, even putting a fan on it wont help. The tank temp will naturally follow the house temp without a chiller or heater. Taking the fact that she won't turn on the AC, I'm going to assume that a chiller is completely out of the question. Looks like you're going to have to figure out how to cool down the house

I keep a fw 55g maybe a bit more forgiving and I live in puerto rico so basically summer all year long so temp on average is 79-85 throughout the year. The fish don't seem to mind since the temp change is never to dramatic but a simple way I cool my tank when it hits 85 and going is put some water in ziplock bags and/or bottles and toss them in. My canopy hides them so it isn't unpleasant to the eyes either. I keep a couple on hand to constantly change out on really hot days.

Desastre said:
I keep a fw 55g maybe a bit more forgiving and I live in puerto rico so basically summer all year long so temp on average is 79-85 throughout the year. The fish don't seem to mind since the temp change is never to dramatic but a simple way I cool my tank when it hits 85 and going is put some water in ziplock bags and/or bottles and toss them in. My canopy hides them so it isn't unpleasant to the eyes either. I keep a couple on hand to constantly change out on really hot days.

Thanks! That's a really good idea!

Puffymcstuff said:
My aquarium has been hovering around 79-83 for several weeks now, even when I have turned the heater down a lot, and have left the lid off to let heat escape, nothing seems to be working! I need to lower the temperature for the fishes sake! Tips!!?

What's so bad about hot temperature? Personally I have never had problems with keeping fish in high temperatures my tank temp is 84 degrees and the fish are still active and healthy...

bruinsbro1997 said:
What's so bad about hot temperature? Personally I have never had problems with keeping fish in high temperatures my tank temp is 84 degrees and the fish are still active and healthy...

I've read a long as it's gradual up to 88ish is acceptable to tropical fish that's why they are tropical I guess hehe.

There's nothing to worry about ... IMO ... your tank at those temps ... it not dramatic enough to harm your fish. Your heater may not be working correctly ... but as long as it's not going into the high 80's into the 90's no worries. Your tank will reflect your indoor temps, simple as that.

What kind of heater do you have? I had one like that and I needed to replace it. It just wouldn't turn off when it was supposed to and I was afraid I was going to cook my fish! I got an aqueon pro heater and haven't had any problems with it.

jcolon said:
There's nothing to worry about ... IMO ... your tank at those temps ... it not dramatic enough to harm your fish. Your heater may not be working correctly ... but as long as it's not going into the high 80's into the 90's no worries. Your tank will reflect your indoor temps, simple as that.

I'm gonna go with this guy. And another question:
Would the temps I already posted be too hot for a tropical community?

Why at those temperatures the thing should never even turn on, better to leave it in there rather than forgetting when it's needed.

But if the OP was saying there is a possibility that the heater was broken and could not turn down, taking it out would be the first option IMHO.

Try freezing some distilled water. Then break it off in chunks and float them in the tank. Works for me. Or you could take regular ice cubes and float them in a plastic bag.

Update! The temperature has gonna down about 2 degrees and is staying there! Thanks for all your suggestions!

I'm gonna go with this guy. And another question:
Would the temps I already posted be too hot for a tropical community?

The temps you posted are fine for tropical community and as your temp went down a few degrees looks like you'll be ok. I'd say don't remove a heater unless it shatters or is just dead. Even a heater who's thermometer/thermostate is off is better than forgetting you removed it and then your screwed if you lose power during 50 degree temps ... it happens.

One thing to consider, although tropical fish can take 84 -88 degree temps, warmer water holds less O2 than cooler water .. just something to keep in mind. If your heater later on raises the temps ... may have to get a new one.

Back
Top Bottom