Heater questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm in the works of getting a 20 gallon tank to serve as a hospital/quarantine tank, and have a few questions regarding heaters!

I have two second-hand 25w marineland heaters that both work perfectly, do you think that'd be enough? I don't want to buy a cheaper 50w/100w heater off of amazon and have it break... :/ Trying not to spend a lot of money but trying to keep my fish (and future fish) healthy and comfortable.

I would think that would work for now. Just make sure they aren't the Marineland stealth as there was a massive recall due to cooking fish and breaking etc. During times it's not cost effective for me to buy Cobalt neotherm I buy Aquatop heaters. No issues so far and on Amazon they are less than $20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been looking at some aquatop heaters on amazon, but lots of reviews are about it cracking or just suddenly breaking D:

Anyone have any other heater recommendations for a 28 gallon? I have a 100w heater that seems to be working just fine, and if I get a better one, I can move the 100w to the hospital tank.

i have a 100w eheim jager in a 25 gallon tank for nearly a year and is very accurate..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How many watts you need depends on how many degrees above room temp you want to heat the water. That's a more accurate way to measure than going by the tank size chart. Just fyi

Oh okay, makes sense! My mom is very reluctant to turn up the heat in our house, and tells everyone to "just wear a sweater". Right now it's 66F. I'm looking at keeping my tank about 76-78F

Yeah I have fish in my basement which is usually cooler so I use 100 watt heaters on my 20g tanks.

I thought of another brand I've used that was decent and that's Hydor.

So I'm thinking about a 100w for the 20 gallon hospital tank and should 100w be just fine for my 28 gallon main tank or should i look into 150w?

I'm not sure. If you need to raise the temp by 12 degrees you may need the 150 watt for the 28g.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking :0 well, thanks for the input! I'll look for a good 150w and then move the 100w to the 20 gallon.
Are Aqueon Pros good heaters?

I've never had one. For nor much more you can get the Cobalt. Since I've built a fish area and bought some pricey fish I look at it this way, I'll spend the $45 or $50 to protect $60 fish from cooking but if it's a $10 pair of fish that don't have the potential to make a ton of babies etc like a livebearer then I get a cheaper heater. That's probably really unethical of me but when you are buying like 15 new heaters you have to draw a line somewhere on cost effectiveness. So I'd say if you plan on getting discus or angels or any other fish that costs over $10 each get the best heater. Hospital tank doesn't matter as much because hopefully you don't have to use it a lot. Just how I'm looking at it.

Yeah, I get you Brennae, since I'm a beginner, I'm really only looking for cheaper, hardier fish. The most expensive fish I'm look at is $5 each, but once the whole tank is assembled it probably will be a good chunk of my money.

I'm a college kid with a super part time job so I don't have tons of mpney to throw around, but I've heard good things about the Eiheim Jager heaters so I might look into it since they're only $30 : D !

Back
Top Bottom