Hello all! RePainting a wood stand the same color help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deano.bango

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got this big girl an would love to revarnish the wood the same varnish color I think they call it, I'm not a wood or painter guy. How I think the best an fastest way to get this done is to do a nice sanding, clean it with acetone an slap an few deck paints that are water prof an heavy duty.
Can anyone give me the fastest way as for I need to transfer 300+ fish into this An need to get this one up an running the second it drops on my door bla bla bla bla

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435695983.959388.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435696000.886209.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435696022.871417.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omg this is so funny. Do you live in Kingman? Or near the area? I have been eyeing this tank on Craigslist for the longest time lol. But I don't have enough space. Glad someone is going to fix it up. Such a small world! How's the condition? I was a little iffy from the pics but it looks nice. I think you're right sanding and staining would be the fastest. Unless you want to just touch it up in that case they make plenty of products for that but it looks like it needs a bit more than a touch up. I think sanding and repainting would be the best option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a nice looking rig just needs lots of love an yeah I think Ima shoot for those steps. That's toooooooo funny!!! Yea she's baaaarly gonna fit in my little apartment hahahahahaa you on the Mohave aquariums thing on FB?

It's a really nice tank! And that was a steal for it. Good luck make sure to post pictures of it when you're done!

Lol that's funny. No I'm not on a Facebook group but maybe I will join!

Yeah it's Mohave aquarium hobbies I think

That looks like some kind of stain and not paint. I think its some type of oak maybe golden oak. If it is stained I would sand it down with some 220 sandpaper then 320 then 400 and finally 0000 steel wool. Wipe all the dust with tack cloth and paint on a good coat of the stain. If you like the color use polyurethane on it to finish. Use the same sanding steps before in between coats to get it really smooth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That sound awesome thanks wrangler thanks what I wanna do is keep that wood showing right on thanks

You want stain then. Paint will cover the wood and it won't show.

No I should be more specific, I want the stain. This a new thing for me, never worked or painted this much wood

So you just want to refinish the stain that is on it or put a new coat of stain on and then finish it?

Yeah I like that natural wood, no color paint just a new stain

sand it down with some 220 sandpaper then 320 then 400 and finally 0000 steel wool. Wipe all the dust with tack cloth and paint on a good coat of polyurethane to finish. Use the same sanding steps before in between coats to get it really smooth.

Do this then

why not just use some stripper for the clear coat. Ive used this with good results.
Citristrip Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel-Select size - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Then like the other guy stated get ready for A LOT of sanding.

Then find a color that matches, you like and get a rag. Wipe it on, let it soak then wipe it off with another rag. Repeat the process until you have a dark enough color you like. Then re varnish with something strong, preferable an oil based.

Its not hard but it can be time consuming and the waiting is the longest part of it. When varnishing you need to let it dry for a full 24 hours sometimes, it SMELLS and you have to sand lightly between coats.

Back
Top Bottom