HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, so here is what I am going to do today, please let me know if this is right.

Test water
Vacuum
PWC-50% (dechlorinator when I fill back up)
No food
Adding Stress-Zyme (when it gets here)
Wait...lol
Test water again

Ok, got the stress zyme. Says for new aquaruims add 2 tsp. For existing aquariums use 1 tsp. Since I have only had my tank going for 6 days, would it be considered new? Thanks!

Ok, I have put the Stress Zyme in an he already seems happier! But now he is digging his face into the gravel (I am assuming he is looking for food, but not supposed to feed him until Mon or Tue) and I am afraid he is going to tear his face and sensors up. He is a scaleless fish with (going on what info I can find) sensitive skin, and uses his sensors to find food and things in the tank since he is blind. EEK! Thanks for the suggestions!

That is normal for most bottom dwellers to "dig their face" in the substrate. Depending on what you have, sorry that i forgot, it could potentially cause some irritation. I always recommend pool filter sand as substrate, whether you have bottom dwellers or not... Seems that my corries liked the pfs better than the pea gravel they have now, but at least they are round and not sharp...

It is pretty much like pea gravel, not sharp or anything, but I did buy pool sand yesterday like you guys said and I was going to wait until I got the 60G all set up. You think I should take out the gravel in the 20G and put in the sand since he will still be in this tank for a few weeks?

I have seen several people put the dechlor into the tank then add the tap water here. I am paranoid now after having a massive fish kill. I put the dechlor and water into a 5 gal water bottle, then into the tank. Lately I have been setting the bottles out a day ahead, then adding the dechlor, just to be sure. Chlorine will kill your beneficial bacteria and restart your cycle.

i wouldn't take out the gravel either, as that is where your beneficial bacteria are living. Why not let the tank get into equilibrium first.

I am not going to take his gravel out, I used the sand in the new tank. I ALWAYS put the dechlor in the water while it's still in the 5G bucket I use. I try not to put anything straight into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom