help!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AustinP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just accidentally dropped a bottle of ph down in my tank! I quickly got the hose and started draining my tank and at the same time. I kept checking the ph level until it came back up, (this took about a hour). I've lost 3 fish so far ,is there anything else I could do to make this bad situation better for the rest? ?

I've already done 2 80% water changes the ph seems back to normal should I do another? Im still learning and didn't know that there is a non chemical way to lower ph.

My normal ph is around 7.2-7.6 tonight it was at 8.2 so I figured I had to bring it back down.

AustinP said:
My normal ph is around 7.2-7.6 tonight it was at 8.2 so I figured I had to bring it back down.

Is it 7.2-7.6 normally with the pH chemicals? What is the pH of your tap water (test it after letting it sit in a cup over night)? Have you added anything? Rocks? New sand?

The tap water is 7.6. I've used ph chemicals in this tank before but I had different fish at the time. This is the first time using chemicals after re doing this tank 4 months ago . I changed out the the gravel 2months ago and when I did that I left about 30% of the old gravel

Sorry about your accident! It sounds like you are handling it the best way. I hope you don't lose anymore of them. :)

For what its worth, I don't suggest bothering with those chems in the future either.

I've lost a total of 7 so far 6 Odessa barbs and one turquoise rainbow . Everyone else seems to b hanging in there for now . Chemicals are already in the trash!

I hope the others continue to pull through!
How many times did you do the 80% water changes? Assuming you did it 3 times, I would just let it sit for now and see how it goes. That should be enough to get the chem out.

Yes did 3 water changes. 5 out of the 9 I have left look like there going to be ok .

I hope they make it! Glad to hear the chems are in the trash! it's a little odd the pH jumped up like that. If it continues you will need to look into things in your tank like sand or rocks that could be making it rise.

This is from my inderstanding of water parameters and may be way off but the way it was explained to me was that soft water can cause ph to be less stable. You may want to add some aragonite to harden the water up. If you want lower ph also try peat moss in the filter.

Good luck with getting your tank back to normal - accidents do happen.

I'd recommend for future prevention, put a big post-it note where you keep all your bottles with one simple rule: "Bottles only open over drains."

It will save you a lot of trouble in the future if you always make sure to measure out any additive over the sink into a 2nd container, and then pour the 2nd container into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom