Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d3ss3n

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. Just put some new fish in my tank. Some goldfish and a northern algae eater. Now the algae eater keeps chasing the goldfish and nipping their fins. Thought that the algae eater was a peaceful fish

I'm not sure what kind of algae eater you have (I've never heard of a northern algae eater, and Google isn't sure, either), but if it's nipping the goldfish, I'd take it back to the store before it does real damage.

While some algae eating fish are very peaceful, others, like the golden algae eater, can become territorial and harass other fish.

Could you take a picture of the algae eater? It might be a Chinese algae eater? If so it may harm your goldfish down the line and you may want to get rid of it

So sorry for the misunderstanding. Its a chinese algae eater, not a northern algae eater

Chinese algae eaters are often aggressive. I would recommend rehoming him. He may suck the slime coat off of the goldfish. They are an easy target for him.

Back
Top Bottom