Help! Filter problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sturgcl1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, hoping someone can help me with my filter which is driving me crazy! I bought a2nd hand tank from a guy off ebay, lovely rena panoramic which came with a fluval filter. Thought I was getting a bargain but have had nothing but problems. I'm new to these large biological filters, last tank I had was much smaller and had an internal filter. The problem I have is that the filter keeps stopping, I check the tank twice a day & often find the filter has stopped. It's very strange because it sounds like it's running, but there's no water coming out. I have to pump the little lever like mad for a few minutes & a tonne of air comes out, it makes a lot of noise then it starts up again. I also have a real problem if I clean it out, sometimes when I switch it on again nothing happens & it takes a lot of messing about to even get the motor running.
i have spent so mych money on this tank the thought of getting a new filter doesnt exactly please me, but I dont want my fish to suffer. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Also how long does it take with no filter running for it to cause a real problem? hours or days? I guess it's ok while I'm here but if I ever went away I would be in real trouble.
i had to put a fine mesh over the intake top stop shrimp being sucked up, could this be causing the problem? I've checked there are no leaks etc.

Thank you

I have a fluvial filter myself and the only thing I can think of is the impeller could be getting a bad rotation whitch would make a loud rattling notice. What you can do is tank it apart and clean the impeller. It is a small metal rod with a fan like piece on the end. That is what sucks the water in. For the question on how long the tank will be OK I don't know it depends on what you have in the tank. Hope this helps.

Have tried cleaning the impellor, I do it everytime I clean filter. It does occasionally make a rattling noise but its easily resolved by taking it out & putting it back. This problem I have seems to be more with air getting into the filter. I'm wondering whether perhaps I'm getting an air pocket around the impellor which is stopping the water going through. But why would this be happening? Theres no air going into the intake from pump & no leaks.

What I always do in my Fw tank insted of priming it by the pump I take a hose and shoot water into the intake until it comes out the head. Then I plug in the filter. It always works for me I would try it if you haven't already. If you don't have water leaking it wouldn't be a bad seal or any breaks in the line.

Sounds like possibly a break/hole in one of your hoses thereby causing air intake - check that and see!

No leaks in any pipes so not that. Took filter to bits again today after noticing the water flow had slowed right down again, (3rd time today & speeds up again after I pump primer a couple of times with power still on!). There was no break or damage in the seal but I did notice the suction cup on primer didnt fit hole too well, could this be the problem? Also noticed when I pushed lid down firmly there was a slight trickle down side of filter which lasted some time until I started filter, then it stopped. Urgh! Am I best buying the bullet & getting a new filter? If so what would you recommend for a 360l?

Sounds you do have a vacuum/ air leak somewhere - you might need to put a new seal ring in between the lid and the canister.

Had a power cut this morning & the filter didnt come back on, could hear the impellor sticking, had to take it apart & restart but can't 12ish this if I ever go away so I'm gonna get a new filter. Any suggestions?

Hello I have a fluval 405 if you can solve the problem its worth keeping imp.I've had issues with pump and not flowing water after priming. I found that if you only use the clamps to secure it it won't seal evenly. so I have to evenly push down on both sides at same time with lot of pressure after securing with clamps.since I learned that I haven't had problems priming mine. hope you get it fixed mine is going on 6 yrs with only 1 impeller change out.

Mine is a 405 also, I tried pushing lid on extra tight, even sat on it (resulted in a wet bum, I wouldnt suggest it!). Still playing up, I'm sure the flow isnt as strong as it should be. Can you just explain to me how I know when it's primed? Maybe it's me doing this wrong? Doesnt seem to be a point where the water flows through without air but when I switch it on it seems to work.

Just looking uo spare parts for 405 & picture of impeller sharft shows a black blob on the end of the stick, is that right? Mine doesnt have this, it's just the stick, perhaps this I'd whats wrong?

Just looking uo spare parts for 405 & picture of impeller sharft shows a black blob on the end of the stick, is that right? Mine doesnt have this, it's just the stick, perhaps this I'd whats wrong?

That's your problem IMO ...without it, the impeller I believes just wobbles too much to be effective. the 404/405 really is a great filter ...despite the problems your having ... which must be frustrating for you. But IMO once its up and running ... you'll see how great it keeps your water.

The Fluval 404/405 is a good filter imo. The little black thing may be gone or its simply stuck in the lid. if you can look up inside there you would be able to tell if its there or not. If its gone, the impellor would indeed not move like it should. When I prime mine, I usually get a few air pockets then they work them selves out. Do you have the filter under the tank?

Thanks everyone, no black thingy so will get another impellor shaft. Yes my filter is stored in the cabinet under my tank. Have to keep it our of my sons reach!

Sounds like you have it figured out. Best of luck with the filter. Mine leaks sometimes. Thats why I have it sitting in a plastic 5 gallon bucket in the stand. Doesnt matter if it leaks a drip every now and then.

Thanks everyone for your help. Yesterday I changed the impellor shaft, the seal, the priming unit & the aquastop, no idea which it was that was broken but it's working like a dream now, far bettet than it ever was!
Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom