Help! I can't get rid of my algae bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShyGecko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 72 gallon aquarium, and I'm having a big problem with algae. I had a bunch of what I think was beard algae, green algae, and algae bloom. I have a rubber lip pleco and a couple rosy barbs, and they have helped some getting rid of my problem. I also drastically cut down on my lighting, and the beard algae pretty much disappeared. The green algae is doing better, my pleco is taking care of that, but I CANNOT get rid of my algae bloom. I don't have my aquarium in direct sunlight, and we never open the shades in our house otherwise. I have tried 25% water changes, and that didn't do any good. I don't know what to do next. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!! :D

Just keep doing water changes - 25% every three days.
Also reduce the amount you are feeding - most people overfeed
Do some water tests -the algae might be sympotamtic of other problems
All the best

The best remedy I have seen for algae blooms is from CC. Completly cover the tank with blankets or towels(thick ones) and don't let any light in for five days or so. Your plants will survive the algae will not. From then on out be sure not to over feed, over fertilize, and cut down on your exposure times. If you have your tank near a window or in a place that gets any window light, you have to watch your exposure times extra carefully. It doesn't take much for the stuff to grow.

I had this BAD about two weeks ago with my new planted tank. All I did was add filter wool to the back of my filter and add micronutrients and ferts to my tank it was gone two days later.

Sadly filter wool, also know as batting won't take out floating algae, You would need a diatom filter, power filters, don't have a small enough media to remove microorganisms. Fertilizers I would imagine would only make it worse...

Back
Top Bottom