Help! Ich and betta questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and have a couple questions for you fish experts. I just recently obtained a 10 gallon tank. I believe it's 10 gallons however.. Between 10 and 15 I would say. However after a couple days of putting my new fish in I noticed my fish had ich! It ended up killing all of them except one gourami. He is the sole survivor! I also have a couple bottom feeders ( not sure their name, look like tiny catfish ) and two dwarf frogs who never seemed to be infected in the first place. My gourami looks better and practically clear. I used Quick Cure for ich for two days and it seems to be gone. I also increased the temperature to around 82-84. Now my question for you all is this: I have a female betta, who is still quite small. She is in the original container I bought her in and was thinking of releasing her into the tank tomorrow. Is it to early? Should the ich be gone? Also, if I bought another female betta at a young age should they be okay together? I plan to just put plattys, mollies, and community fish like this in the tank. Maybe an angel fish? Give me good advice, thanks all!

- Sid

I personally think you should have waited before buying the betta. I'd wait for another member to chime in and tell you if you should keep it in the *horrid* cup, or add it.

Also, as far as the community - DO NOT add any angelfish! :nono::nono: They need a 30 gallon tank MINIMUM! Same with the mollies! They're bioload is HUGE!

I would also stay away from platys. Maybe 3-4 guppies is okay with that dwarf gourami. (y)

I personally think you should have waited before buying the betta. I'd wait for another member to chime in and tell you if you should keep it in the *horrid* cup, or add it.

Also, as far as the community - DO NOT add any angelfish! :nono::nono: They need a 30 gallon tank MINIMUM! Same with the mollies! They're bioload is HUGE!

I would also stay away from platys. Maybe 3-4 guppies is okay with that dwarf gourami. (y)

Then how come in pet stores the angelfish, platties, mollies... Etc are all in 10 gallon tanks with like 20 fish :/ ... I know very little about fish! I heard guppies don't do well with bettas.. I need some good community fish ideas with bettas! Thanks!

Then how come in pet stores the angelfish, platties, mollies... Etc are all in 10 gallon tanks with like 20 fish :/ ... I know very little about fish! I heard guppies don't do well with bettas.. I need some good community fish ideas with bettas! Thanks!

Fish in fish stores are in those tanks because they are only there for a very minimal amount of time before being adopted out. It is NOT okay by any means for a permanent home!

Here is the general rule for bettas: females are USUALLY community fish. Males are USUALLY kept alone. There are exceptions to it but for the most part females are okay in communities and males are best alone. Every betta is different though. I've never had this be different for me. I've tried males and had it not work as usual. And females in communities that have done great. Never the opposite.

two female bettas in one tank may fight. Normally you have 5 females minimum and its called a sorority, but a 10g is too small for a betta sorority in my opinion. You could house one betta and some snails in a 10g. Angel fish are out of the question as stated already, they get too big.

Back
Top Bottom