Help identify these for me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikizinaniisii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was given a small ten gallon aquarium today with 5 fish, a bottom feeder and a pleco. But what type of Tetra is this? They are clear in the back, does that make them Phantom Tetra's of some sort? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 68
They sorta look like that but these are so much redder and are glass like on about 60% or so of the body. I will try to get a better picture tomorrow.

I can move it to my 38 gallon then to my 55 when I get it. Once I sell my exercise equipment I will be investing in a very large tank. I am getting a 14 tall The first of the month to seperate a few more of mine from the 38 gallon. I am getting the idea of what is to many. What is an inch and what is larger then an inch. It takes me a bit because of my brain injury so just bear with me and please don't judge me, just be patient and know I am doing the best I can.

waiting for batteries to recharge on camera.

Last edited:
look up rosy tetra's. Mine looked similar to what you have there with a bit of a clearer back half.

Not quite. The fin's are wrong and they are missing the large black spot in the middle of the chest. Have been unable to better picture yet and I have gone through two sets of rechargable batteries and one reg set of batteries. :(

Haha. I don't know what kind of camera you have but what I did to get decent pics of even fast fish is to flood the tank with light. i.e. put some extra lamps and what not facing down into the water of your tank. This will allow you to increase the shutter speed which will allow you to freeze faster moving fish.

I'm going to have to agree with the first response and say "Serpae Tetra." I posted a topic not too long ago about these guys. Mine used to have a black spot near their eye, but it seems like they faded away for a while, and now they're getting them back.

Did we rule out red phantom tetra?

Eh, now that I look at them closer, maybe they are phantom tetra. I'm looking at their top fin in the photo above and the photos on google, and they look really similar. At the same time though, when I saw the posted photo I thought they immediately looked my my Serpaes.

Any other thoughts?

My first thought was Serpaes from the posted pic but the description fit red phantom.

Haha. I don't know what kind of camera you have but what I did to get decent pics of even fast fish is to flood the tank with light. i.e. put some extra lamps and what not facing down into the water of your tank. This will allow you to increase the shutter speed which will allow you to freeze faster moving fish.

I have a great camera just low battery. It can take great pictures even in the lowest light normally. I did get a couple ok shots today. They are a little better but they just move so fast and dart here and there so much it's almost impossible for me to get a good shot off. Even when I mess with the shutter speed/apiture and stuff. I can't get it to work together.

Attachments

• IMG_1962.jpg
    IMG_1962.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1963.jpg
    IMG_1963.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom