Help to identify these tiny creatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

depr11259

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've recently set up a nano tank in a large glass jar, it holds about 20 litres.
It's completed its cycling and the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, ph is 7.2 and the temp is 24c. It currently contains 8 neocaridina shrimp and a few small snails.

I've noticed these very small (2-3mm) white specs on the glass and plants within the tank and I'm having some difficulty identifying them. I've asked a few friends in the hobby and they're all at a loss. One ex-colleague suggested that they may be Bryozoa or the medusa stage of some form of Hydrozoa. Any insights would be most welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3697.jpg
    IMG_3697.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 24
I've recently set up a nano tank in a large glass jar, it holds about 20 litres.
It's completed its cycling and the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, ph is 7.2 and the temp is 24c. It currently contains 8 neocaridina shrimp and a few small snails.

I've noticed these very small (2-3mm) white specs on the glass and plants within the tank and I'm having some difficulty identifying them. I've asked a few friends in the hobby and they're all at a loss. One ex-colleague suggested that they may be Bryozoa or the medusa stage of some form of Hydrozoa. Any insights would be most welcome.

Have you recently added live plants to your tank? These can bring bladder snails into your tank.. however they don’t exactly look like the picture you sent. Normally any white spots on your tank are eggs of some sort. However this may also be a spreading parasite. Hydrozoa does look like that sort of in the beginning. Do you have any other fish in the tank? The shrimp may be harmed if this is a parasite.

Either bryozoans or hydrozoans and they are harmless curiosities in aquariums. They turn up occasionally and sometimes change colour depending on what they eat. I have seen green, yellow, brown and semi-transparent ones like yours. Leave them alone and let them be.

Currently I have only shrimp in the tank. I did add a plant ( Anubios nana bonsai)earlier last week.

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom