Help me filte my filter customizarion ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I have a Penguin Bio Wheel 150 in my 20 gallon tank. It has 2 slots for filter cartiges but I don't need 2 cartridges the 1 catches everything . I'm more interested in adding some more forms of bio filtration. The main cartridge should go in front to filter out the particles and only allowing water through. I was wondering if there was any way I could make my own cartridge and use something like bioballs to add more bio filter? Just wondering thanks everyone !

Also yes I notice the typo in the title using an iPhone.

image-3972340164.jpg

image-454038589.jpg

Also just noticed my filter is overflowing through the spill way and sides

image-3972340164.jpg

And here over the side next to the bio wheel

image-454038589.jpg

Attachments

• image-1019026715.jpg
    image-1019026715.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 58
  • image-3180492349.jpg
    image-3180492349.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 55
Not trying to be rude...but that's why I never liked those types of filters. The blue pad and carbon are just a pain, with no customization. If you have $20-$30 just get yourself a aquaclear 20 or 30, and you get to do all the customizing you want. It's just a big empty space that you can stuff anything you want in it.

Not trying to be rude...but that's why I never liked those types of filters. The blue pad and carbon are just a pain, with no customization. If you have $20-$30 just get yourself a aquaclear 20 or 30, and you get to do all the customizing you want. It's just a big empty space that you can stuff anything you want in it.

Hmm I mean it does an OK job of filtering I like the bio wheel but I see what you mean making your own filter is way better and probably more affordable than using one like this. As of now I don't have the money for that but I will keep that in mind and on my list ! Thanks

The bio wheel will hold an amazing amount of beneficial bacteria, my suggestion would be to replace one pad for a better mechanical type. Why are you wanting to increase bio media?

The bio wheel will hold an amazing amount of beneficial bacteria, my suggestion would be to replace one pad for a better mechanical type. Why are you wanting to increase bio media?

I was thinking of taking the carbon and blue fabric off of my filter next week and only use the black slot and getting a filter bag they are like .99 and a some bio balls and placing them between the new filter and the piece of black plastic.

Back
Top Bottom