help me please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2fish1992

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi im new to this forum and need some help. first off i want to get an aquarium but dont know which way to go. i have kept fish in the past although nothing big and have never had that much of an intrest until now. i could either do salt or freshwater.
i have a 18 gallon tank but i could go bigger no bigger than 35g tho i have a filter and a heater. could some one please help direct me and tell me what i need. i only have 250$ to spend tho

new2fish1992 said:
i only have 250$ to spend tho

then I wouldnt even consider a saltwater setup.

also, I wouldnt consider getting a new tank.

Your 18g is a nice size for some small community fish. What kind of filter and heater do you have?

As for fish selection, it matters more what you're interested in although you will still be fairly limited in that size of a tank.

do u think i should buy a 29g tank for 50 bucks instead?,

my heater and filter were about 50 bucks two years ago bbut i dont know what kind they are

i dont need a stand for my tank
i like any fish that seems intresting

are there any fresh water invertabraes

Hi new2fish ! Welcome to AA - you've come to the right place. I've only been a member a short while and everyone here is so helpful.

There are lots of fw invertibrates - several types of shrimp and snails. I personally have "mystery snails" but I've never kept shrimp - lots of others have and I'm sure they'll chime in.

Can you tell the wattage on your heater, and see any model numbers or such on your filter ? If you can then we can tell if they'll be ok in the larger tank so that you won't need to upgrade either of them.

Take a look at some of the fish that are available in the stores near you and let us know what you like. You might want something like 3 or 4 cory cat fish (talk about interesting !!) and maybe a school of tetras. I also really like harlequin rasboras (link: http://fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/383.htm) but the picture in this website just doesn't do them justice. If you go to http://fishprofiles.com you can do a search on "tetras" under profiles -> freshwater to get some more ideas.

wow this forum is very nice and hopspitable thanks every1
i have a few more questions
i heard snails cause problems in ur tank is this true?
what are some fish i should stay clear of for a 29g tank?
what are some easy to grow plants that dont require too much lighting?

Hi again :) Yeah, this forum is great - my fish really appreciate the time I spend here :)

1. Snails. Depends upon the species. Pond snails and the big ramshorn snails are problems because they can (and often do) eat live plants. I have 12 mystery (aka apple) snails in my tank and I LOVE them - they're actually fun LOL

2. You want to stay with fish that get to 2 - 3 inches full grown, this will ensure that they have lots of room to swim and turn around. You may be able to get 1 or 2 larger fish (4 inches). You also want to be careful with semi-aggressive / aggressive species, like Gouramis. You could probably do 1 safely but after that they tend to pick on each other until you have a nice sized group. Another thing to consider for many fish is the ratio of males to females - you'll see that many fish have a suggested ratio of 3 females for each male; this is so that each female gets a break from a male who wants to breed :) .... it really depands upon the species, so once you find a species you like take the question back to the forum and ask about their ideal "arrangement"

3. There are many "low light plants" that only need 1 wpg (watt per gallon) of light to do well and can even do ok with a little less light. Go to this website http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=1&filter_by=2 for a list of low-light plants

HTH

Hi, Welcome to AA

If you have the funding, go for the 29g, it will afford you a few more options than the 18 (don't get rid of the 18, it will come in handy later on).

With a 29, you could definitely get some dwarf cichlids (apistos or rams), corydoras, tetras and a nice dwarf pleco such as a bristlenose or pitbull.

As far as plants, you may not be able to do too much since a 29g comes with probably a 17w NO bulb; far too low to grow out plants and your budget may not be able to accomodate upgrading (don't give up hope though, it can be done fairly cheaply).

Going with artificial decorations until you are ready makes sense...sometimes it is better to go slowly and build your tank up as you acquire more info (not to mention funding).

I assume you are familiar with cycling, yes?

thanks everyone
because i live in florida, if i put the tank near a window could i possibly grow plants
how much would a 70 watt light cost if i bought it new from petco?
how much are mystery snails

The larger the tank the easier it is to keep it stable. So - if you can get the larger tank please do so. But - like already mentioned, keep the smaller tank it will make a great quarantine/hospital tank.
One of the most fun parts of fishkeeping is finding the right fish for your aquarium. Take a lot of time and browse all the fish sites that you can find with pictures and information. When you find some fish that you really like - ask about them here and we'll help you make sure they fit your tank and are compatible with any other fish you get.
Yes you can put your tank near a window - just make sure it doesn't bake the fish!! You want to keep the water temperature around 76 - 78 degrees depending on what fish you choose. Also - direct sunlight will likely cause more algae problems so be prepared (start reading now) on how to deal with algae. Most people would advise 1 - 3 hours of direct sunlight a day so you need to be able to shut the shades at times.
Make sure you cycle your tank without fish. It's great to see you asking the questions before starting this wonderful venture.
Mystery snails vary greatly in price according to location. Generally Mystery snails are Apple snails, they are the only snail that you have to have both a male and female to get babies. (That's called: gonochoristic) All other snails can reproduce without the opposite sex. (That's called: hermaphrodite) Isn't this fun?! Malaysion Trumpet snails (MTS) are great for burrowing through the substrate and helping keep things cleaned up down there. Physa snails are often considered pests but make a great lunch for certain fish and do help with algae control. They usually overtake an aquarium very quickly. There are others also. A great site for snail information is http://applesnail.net/

how much would a 70 watt light cost if i bought it new from petco?

Were talking about more than just a light bulb. This will depend on if you are asking about the 18 or the 29. With the 29, you will need to buy the entire strip. Look at the dual bulb flourescent one 24" Dual light strip

As mentioned, having the tank in direct sunlight could lead to algae issues. It is better IMO to try to avoid this if at all possible.

I keep a combo of ramshorns and MTS snails in my planted tank. They are definitely an asset to the tank. Ramshorns are asexual and will reproduce like rabbits though so you have to be careful with their food intake unless you want a snail tank. :wink:

Hi JChillin - you're talking about the SMALL ramshorn, not the ones that are typically seen for sale, correct ? The larger ones, from what I understand, are plant destroyers - please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Yes, I am referring to the "small" ramshorn. The ones usually on sale at LFS are Columbian and do grow quite large and will enjoy the "salad" bar provided by a planted tank.

There are differing opinions on the matter...sometimes the species Marisa cornuarietis, the huge ones, are included in describing all ramshorns since they are a part of the family Planorbis spp, which also includes the little fellows.

Back
Top Bottom