Help me stock a 5.5?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yep, I'm getting ready to move back to my dorm at college and I want to figure out what fish/inverts I want to take with me!
Sadly, my king betta died several weeks ago do to a very bad case of popeye. Because of that I'm leaning away from bettas, they kind of make me sad now. I had my betta for a long time :/
The tank is a bit run down now, my plants didn't fair too well with the popeye treatment so I need to get it re-planted. I want it to be very heavily planted and naturalistic looking. I definitely am considering switching out the decor.

So. What fish do you think would fair best in a heavily planted 5.5 ??(excluding bettas)

I am considering sparkling gouramis or pygmy cories at the moment.
I'm also thinking about an invert tank, but I don't have much experience with them other than my apple snails (I breed them)
I haven't kept shrimp in a long time and would need some tips/suggestions about which types to keep/how to keep them.

I would suggest for that small of a tank some sort of annual killifish or perhaps a shrimp and inverts tank. Maybe a dwarf puffer species tank too.

I would suggest for that small of a tank some sort of annual killifish or perhaps a shrimp and inverts tank. Maybe a dwarf puffer species tank too.
i agree shrimp would be great. you would only be able to put one dwarf puffer in a tank that size

I'm a little wary of the creating a dwarf puffer tank since they need live food and I'll be in a different city where I would have to buy food from a chain store and wouldn't have my fabulous LFS to rely on. :( However I do have a lot of snails it could eat hehe.
I hadn't thought about killifish since I don't typically go for annuals, but it could be very nice to have a few killis with some shrimp!

+1 to the endlers and shrimp tank! I love endlers and shrimp and that's what I'm doing in my 7.8 gallon tank. Oh and make it planted:)

I've only got some moneywort and wisteria growing in it now, I'm going to plant it a lot more before I get some fish/inverts :>
I'm going to have to look into endlers as well. I haven't seen them stocked in a while. (which is strange)

I have seen them in my LFS that sells them for like $10 a piece which is insane, and in petsmart but their hybrids because they were the product of a guppy and endler... But I'll probably get those because their like 1.25, so there are the hybrids you look into as well.

hybrids often grow a lot larger, so I'd definitely have to get some definite endlers since I'm working with small quarters. (if I go that way)
I'm still thinking a lot about those sparkling gouramis or pygmy cories :>
researching shrimp at the moment.

I have seen them in my LFS that sells them for like $10 a piece which is insane, and in petsmart but their hybrids because they were the product of a guppy and endler... But I'll probably get those because their like 1.25, so there are the hybrids you look into as well.
lol,i think i have endlers,and my LFS sels them as feeder guppys:lol:

Pygmy cories may be okay if the bottom is bigish. And I'm not sure about the gouramis but I've heard/read that they'd do okay!

my tank has a large footprint for it's size. I raised some baby peppered cories in it once, and they're doing fine in their larger tank with their parents now. :>
I think a small school of pygmies would be fine. And a group of like 2-3 sparkling gouramis should be okay as well. I've never kept them before though, so I'm definitely not an expert on their tank requirements haha

Okay then I'd defiantly put in the cories! I love my peppered cories:). If you put in the sparkling gouramis I think you'd be full.

Yeah I was either going to go with a school of cories or a small group of gouramis, not both together. :>
I'm still not sure though, there are a lot of options even for a small tank! (small tanks are just so much more complicated to stock ugh)

That's true! I sorta love putting together small aquariums because they look so amazing with the tiny fish swimming around being all happy and such!

I think I'm probably going to go with a trio of sparkling gouramis, but I may choose a small school of cories over them when I compare stocks at my LFS.
I'll continue to use this thread to post pictures of my tank renovation/planting progress and pictures of the completed tank!
:>

Back
Top Bottom