Help/Mentoring with Aquascaping Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spent forever trying to find a site that would show the exact piece you'd be getting instead of just offering the wood and surprising you with whatever they happened to have. I wanted to be able to pick out my own wood like I would have been able to in a store.
I tried manzanitdriftwood.com, but after multiple emails to them with no response, I sadly gave up on the piece of spiderwood I liked. I then found aquariumplants.com, which offered tons of wood and allowed you to select the individual piece you wanted.
My wood should arrive by the 31st.

So I'm contemplating ordering all my moss and rhizome plants in order to have them by Monday so I can start scaping the wood. I did a rough sketch of how I'm thinking of scaping it, and I wanted to get some feedback/advice.
It's color coded. The colored dot next to each plant indicates which rough sketch it corresponds with (please forgive my quick doodles).
I'm thinking of:
(1) Anubias Nana
(2) Anubias Nana Golden
(3) Anubias Nana Petite
(1) Cup of loose Java Moss
(3) Thin leaf Java Fern
(1) Clump of Buce Brownie Jade (3-5 plants)
(1) Clump of Buce Brownie Phoenix (3-5 plants)
Without further ado, my tentative schematic.

Attachments

• IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2731.jpg
    IMG_2731.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 54
So I'm contemplating ordering all my moss and rhizome plants in order to have them by Monday so I can start scaping the wood. I did a rough sketch of how I'm thinking of scaping it, and I wanted to get some feedback/advice.

It's color coded. The colored dot next to each plant indicates which rough sketch it corresponds with (please forgive my quick doodles).

I'm thinking of:

(1) Anubias Nana

(2) Anubias Nana Golden

(3) Anubias Nana Petite

(1) Cup of loose Java Moss

(3) Thin leaf Java Fern

(1) Clump of Buce Brownie Jade (3-5 plants)

(1) Clump of Buce Brownie Phoenix (3-5 plants)

Without further ado, my tentative schematic.

I think it'd look better if you flipped the driftwood upside down, with the branches facing up. Place the Anubias nana, Java Fern (in the back), and Golden Anubias nana on the base, with the Buce, moss, and Java Fern (on the back) on the branches. I think that'd make your layout look more balanced, with bigger plants on the bottom and smaller ones going towards the top. Surround the wood with Crypts, and if room permits, small Echinodorus.

Man I bet you're hell on wheels with Tupperware storage. So organized! Envy envy envy. I agree with Fishenthusiast. Flip it.

Ya baby that's dead sexy.

Java fern will grow in very low light. So if you wanted to actually put it underneath and rear center it will reach up through the wood branches over time.

Ooh, I should try that. I think it would look nice near the base.
I'm trying to think of stem plants to put behind the wood, but I think I'm all sketched out for today. Maybe I'll wait until the hardscape is done and planted and then give it some more thought.
I'm probably going to put some dwarf sag in the front. We'll see.

Following. I'm planning on scaping a ten gallon soon as my next project and I'm very excited, as it's my first real attempt at aquascaping.

Thanks, that means a lot to me! :) I can't wait to see your tank when you get started.
This is my first real aquascaping project, too. I'm lucky to be a part of this wonderful community, and have people like fishenthusiast and TMaier to help me as I figure this out.
I'm a little nervous about this particular scape turning out okay, as it's a hexagonal tank and they're a nightmare to scape (or so I've heard), but perhaps it won't be as hard as I imagine it will be. We'll see.
I won't be able to start it for the next few weeks, as I have to waterlog the wood, but mid to late August I'll get it going. I'll post pictures of the wood when it arrives.

I'm debating using superglue as I've seen many people on YouTube do... it's either that or black cotton thread (which should dissolve by the time the plants attach). I might do all the rhizome plants with a dab of glue and then use the thread for the moss.
I wonder if silicone would work?

The wood came in sooner than expected! So excited! Going to soak it while I'm away on vacation for a few weeks to see if it'll waterlog.

Attachments

• IMG_2739.jpg
    IMG_2739.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 48
That's some nice driftwood. Glue is nice, but for me, I had a lot of plants that ended up not attaching in time with the glue. I recommend clear fishing line. It isn't that noticeable, if at all, and you wouldn't have to fool with reattaching rhizome plants.

I'm really pleased with it. It is a bit big, so it'll need a trim, but I'm not too worried about that.
I'll give the fishing line another try. I used it on my anubias in my other tank, and it holds it pretty well.

The snails chewed through a lot of my cotton thread and I ended up redoing with this. It's much finer than most of the fishing line I found. IMG_1257.jpg

If you use glue do not glue the rhizome. Glue roots off of the rhizome.

And wow the wood looks amazing. Very pretty.

Last edited:
I think I have something like that in my sewing kit. I'll see if I can find it.
I'll have more pictures when I'm able to bring the wood home and soak it.

Well after ogling your wood I finally ponied up and ordered a piece of spider wood. I did it blind. So I will either be pleasantly surprised or bitterly disappointed lol.

I hope it turns out to be a piece you like! Fingers crossed. I find it to be my favorite kind of wood, it just looks so nice with its many branches and smooth texture.
Where'd you order from?

Change of plans. I contacted the seller and found out if I order plants today they'll be in before I leave for vacation. I'm going to get the wood situated today and weigh it down with rocks while it waterlogs. Monday or Tuesday the plants should be in and I'll at least have the wood planted before I leave.
I can't wait :)

Back
Top Bottom