Help need it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rumcajs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody....

I need help....my brother set up a new 45gal tank with HOB emperor 400 for me....but he want it to be a surprise and put a live sand and fresh water not knowing that sand is for saltwater....there is no fish (thank God) in the tank....I like the look of the sand and would like to keep it if possible but I think I need to "kill it" first somehow....my question is what to I do make tank safe for FW fish. I know I need to cycle it first but sand is my concern.

Thank you all for any advise...

The main downside of live sand in fresh water is that it will raise your pH. If you like how it looks you could add some driftwood to release tannins and bring the pH down. I think it's best if you remove it and put suitable sand in instead.

The bacteria itself in the live sand isn't an issue, it will just die off and grow your FW bacteria instead.

Are you sure it was SW live sand? CaribSea makes several types of "live sand" intended for freshwater.

I would just rinse it really well. Possibly just fill it and vac it a couple times. It will be a waste of water, but it should make it safe. I wouldn't worry about the pH until you test it and see what impact it does have.

Yeah I checked the bags and it is for saltwater...

Thank you guys ....I really appreciate it..

Back
Top Bottom