Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Help Picking a Centerpiece Fish

Hi all,
I have a 29 gallon with 1 bristlenose pleco, 4 harlequin rasboras, 4 neon tetras, and two kuhli loaches. I'm thinking of upping both the rasbora and tetra schools to 6, but I also kind of want a bigger centerpiece fish.

Could I get an angel or a gourami without being overstocked? I do weekly water changes and my water parameters are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
pH: 7.6
Temp: around 80 degrees

Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Search aqadvisor in google and check that website to see if you are overstocked or not.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I am not a big fan of AqAdvisor. I don't it is all that accurate.
First off, you should probably have a few nitrates unless your tank is very heavily planted, But, with light stock, I am sure you will not have too much.
Yes, a gourami will be fine (assuming you pick an appropriately sized one). Something to look at would be the paradise gourami. They are a bit less common, but come in amazing colors.
Fwiw, I would also add more kuhlis. In my experience, they really do better in ar large of groups as possible. they have a pretty small bioload, so you can easily afford to add some more for more like 6. you will generally see them more and they will be more at ease in larger groups.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I looked at the AqAdvisor site and I have to agree, I am skeptical about it's accuracy. I think I'll go to my lfs this weekend and look at gouramis, hopefully they have some pretty ones in stock!

I honestly don't have a nitrate test, so I didn't include that stat....but I'm sure I'm around 40 . I do have some plants and driftwood so I think I'm alright there. Don't judge me!

Also, I will definitely look at getting more Khulis, I love them!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreHoyle View Post
So I looked at the AqAdvisor site and I have to agree, I am skeptical about it's accuracy. I think I'll go to my lfs this weekend and look at gouramis, hopefully they have some pretty ones in stock!

I honestly don't have a nitrate test, so I didn't include that stat....but I'm sure I'm around 40 . I do have some plants and driftwood so I think I'm alright there. Don't judge me!

Also, I will definitely look at getting more Khulis, I love them!
Well... it would have helped if I had not read "nitrate" when you clearly wrote "nitrite." So, that was my bad. I apologize.
If you are curious about your nitrates, you can always take in a sample to any place that does free testing (most fish stores do). But, I doubt your nitrates are very high since you are currently lightly stocked and are doing consistent pwc.
Another very cool gourami is the pearl gourami. I also like the opaline quite a bit. Starting by looking at what is available locally is a great idea. Keep us updated on what you find!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Just use your head if you think AqAdvisor is wrong... It's only a software.

I prefer this than asking guys at the LFS, they're noobs/seller usually.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Agreed... AqAdvisor is a great first stab at building out a stocking list, which can be tempered by further research and experience.

Dwarf Gourami are very colorful and shouldn't overload your bioload much, but you should have room for a Pearl or Opaline if you prefer since you're doing weekly water changes. A betta would do fine instead if you wanted. Or you could go with a pair of Rams or Apistos since you've got the tank warm enough.

Angels can be aggressive toward Harlequins and Neons, so I'd avoid that. Sometimes it works, but depending on the fish personality as it matures, it may decide the bright little Neon eyes are a tasty snack.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post

Yeah I hate asking at the fish store, mine has better people than places like petco but I still always like asking on here first.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post

Agreed... AqAdvisor is a great first stab at building out a stocking list, which can be tempered by further research and experience.

Dwarf Gourami are very colorful and shouldn't overload your bioload much, but you should have room for a Pearl or Opaline if you prefer since you're doing weekly water changes. A betta would do fine instead if you wanted. Or you could go with a pair of Rams or Apistos since you've got the tank warm enough.

Angels can be aggressive toward Harlequins and Neons, so I'd avoid that. Sometimes it works, but depending on the fish personality as it matures, it may decide the bright little Neon eyes are a tasty snack.
Thanks for the suggestions! I have a betta in a smaller tank but he's a butt head...tries to fight everyone lol.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

I'm partial to Pearl Gouramis. But that's just me. It would hang at the top level a lot too. OS.

Tags
centerpiece, centerpiece fish, fish, ick, pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com