Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
DeirdreHoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 508
Help Picking a Centerpiece Fish

Hi all,
I have a 29 gallon with 1 bristlenose pleco, 4 harlequin rasboras, 4 neon tetras, and two kuhli loaches. I'm thinking of upping both the rasbora and tetra schools to 6, but I also kind of want a bigger centerpiece fish.

Could I get an angel or a gourami without being overstocked? I do weekly water changes and my water parameters are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
pH: 7.6
Temp: around 80 degrees
__________________

__________________
DeirdreHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Keflan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wirral
Posts: 123
Search aqadvisor in google and check that website to see if you are overstocked or not.
__________________

__________________
Keflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,876
I am not a big fan of AqAdvisor. I don't it is all that accurate.
First off, you should probably have a few nitrates unless your tank is very heavily planted, But, with light stock, I am sure you will not have too much.
Yes, a gourami will be fine (assuming you pick an appropriately sized one). Something to look at would be the paradise gourami. They are a bit less common, but come in amazing colors.
Fwiw, I would also add more kuhlis. In my experience, they really do better in ar large of groups as possible. they have a pretty small bioload, so you can easily afford to add some more for more like 6. you will generally see them more and they will be more at ease in larger groups.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
DeirdreHoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 508
So I looked at the AqAdvisor site and I have to agree, I am skeptical about it's accuracy. I think I'll go to my lfs this weekend and look at gouramis, hopefully they have some pretty ones in stock!

I honestly don't have a nitrate test, so I didn't include that stat....but I'm sure I'm around 40 . I do have some plants and driftwood so I think I'm alright there. Don't judge me!

Also, I will definitely look at getting more Khulis, I love them!
__________________
DeirdreHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreHoyle View Post
So I looked at the AqAdvisor site and I have to agree, I am skeptical about it's accuracy. I think I'll go to my lfs this weekend and look at gouramis, hopefully they have some pretty ones in stock!

I honestly don't have a nitrate test, so I didn't include that stat....but I'm sure I'm around 40 . I do have some plants and driftwood so I think I'm alright there. Don't judge me!

Also, I will definitely look at getting more Khulis, I love them!
Well... it would have helped if I had not read "nitrate" when you clearly wrote "nitrite." So, that was my bad. I apologize.
If you are curious about your nitrates, you can always take in a sample to any place that does free testing (most fish stores do). But, I doubt your nitrates are very high since you are currently lightly stocked and are doing consistent pwc.
Another very cool gourami is the pearl gourami. I also like the opaline quite a bit. Starting by looking at what is available locally is a great idea. Keep us updated on what you find!
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mrvincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 2,246
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Just use your head if you think AqAdvisor is wrong... It's only a software.

I prefer this than asking guys at the LFS, they're noobs/seller usually.
__________________
mrvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Luananeko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Just use your head if you think AqAdvisor is wrong... It's only a software.

I prefer this than asking guys at the LFS, they're noobs/seller usually.
Agreed... AqAdvisor is a great first stab at building out a stocking list, which can be tempered by further research and experience.

Dwarf Gourami are very colorful and shouldn't overload your bioload much, but you should have room for a Pearl or Opaline if you prefer since you're doing weekly water changes. A betta would do fine instead if you wanted. Or you could go with a pair of Rams or Apistos since you've got the tank warm enough.

Angels can be aggressive toward Harlequins and Neons, so I'd avoid that. Sometimes it works, but depending on the fish personality as it matures, it may decide the bright little Neon eyes are a tasty snack.
__________________
Luananeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
DeirdreHoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Just use your head if you think AqAdvisor is wrong... It's only a software.

I prefer this than asking guys at the LFS, they're noobs/seller usually.
Yeah I hate asking at the fish store, mine has better people than places like petco but I still always like asking on here first.
__________________
DeirdreHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
DeirdreHoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post

Agreed... AqAdvisor is a great first stab at building out a stocking list, which can be tempered by further research and experience.

Dwarf Gourami are very colorful and shouldn't overload your bioload much, but you should have room for a Pearl or Opaline if you prefer since you're doing weekly water changes. A betta would do fine instead if you wanted. Or you could go with a pair of Rams or Apistos since you've got the tank warm enough.

Angels can be aggressive toward Harlequins and Neons, so I'd avoid that. Sometimes it works, but depending on the fish personality as it matures, it may decide the bright little Neon eyes are a tasty snack.
Thanks for the suggestions! I have a betta in a smaller tank but he's a butt head...tries to fight everyone lol.
__________________
DeirdreHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
Adipose Fins Are Cool!
 
Old Scales's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Posts: 2,752
I'm partial to Pearl Gouramis. But that's just me. It would hang at the top level a lot too. OS.
__________________

__________________
Bonified member of "The Wet Arm Society".
One's life should be measured by the number of people who smile when they remember you.
Old Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
centerpiece, centerpiece fish, fish, ick, pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Picking a Centerpiece Fish jmartin71 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 44 05-08-2011 11:50 PM
Newbie: Help with picking out first fish packback Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 14 11-19-2010 10:36 PM
Off to the LFS today. Need help picking fish please hulkamaniac Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 06-30-2006 01:50 AM
Need help with a centerpiece fish. 10g. exodus Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 05-10-2006 07:11 PM
Help picking out my last fish. DragonForce Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 04-02-2006 01:08 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.