Help... Please :( white stuff in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys.

I tried this in a different forum but it got no replies.

Anyways recently I have had white thread/fluff in my tank.

I first noticed it on my Mopani wood spreading to my gravel and plants but I have removed it and washed the gravel and added new fake plants.

Today I noticed it on the gravel and I've cleaned it away, I've took some pics of it and of a reddish goop? on my filter.

Any help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• image-3231328420.jpg
    image-3231328420.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3510847818.jpg
    image-3510847818.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3916924747.jpg
    image-3916924747.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image-254790697.jpg
    image-254790697.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3232176273.jpg
    image-3232176273.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1513743703.jpg
    image-1513743703.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1795657724.jpg
    image-1795657724.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2563356951.jpg
    image-2563356951.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 61
FreshwaterTropical said:
It would say the white stuff might be some kind of algae.

I recently went away for 5 days and before I did I blacked out the tank with trash bags.

I switched of the light (had to check twice lol) and left it dark in the room.

When I got back it was worse (due to me not maintaining its growth) and centralized my wood.

I'm think it's a fungus but I'm not so sure :(

I would agree that it appears to be some type of fungus, probably as a result of decay on the log. Getting rid of it will be difficult, as the main body of the fungus is now spread through your substrate. The visible parts that you can see are typically just the spore-producing structures. Might check on some type of antifungal agent with the sponsors, beyond that, a total tank tear down and clean may be your only option.

Wy Renegade said:
I would agree that it appears to be some type of fungus, probably as a result of decay on the log. Getting rid of it will be difficult, as the main body of the fungus is now spread through your substrate. The visible parts that you can see are typically just the spore-producing structures. Might check on some type of antifungal agent with the sponsors, beyond that, a total tank tear down and clean may be your only option.

I have basically tore the tank down, yesterday I performed this maintenance;

•drained all water.
•removed filter media and washed it in old tank water.
•removed and washed gravel in cold running water for 5 mins straight.
•cleaned filter intake and outflow pipe and pump.
•cleaned bottom of filter housing (quite a bit of gunk)
•removed and cleaned ornaments and rocks.

Day after the rebuild I had the small amount shown in the pic in the OP.

Hey guys.

Anyways recently I have had white thread/fluff in my tank.

I first noticed it on my Mopani wood spreading to my gravel and plants but I have removed it and washed the gravel and added new fake plants.

I'm assuming it was a relatively new piece of Mopani DW? If so DW can often form a whitish thready substance. I never got a concrete answer if it's an algae, bacteria or fungus.All accounts that I've read is that it's harmless to fish, in fact, my RTS went crazy chewing it up. It eventually went away on it's own.

Did you boil the DW before putting it in the tank? I did not boil my Mopani and had it show up, but the pieces of Malaysian DW I did boil (to cut down on tannins) and have yet to see the it.

jcolon said:
I'm assuming it was a relatively new piece of Mopani DW? If so DW can often form a whitish thready substance. I never got a concrete answer if it's an algae, bacteria or fungus.All accounts that I've read is that it's harmless to fish, in fact, my RTS went crazy chewing it up. It eventually went away on it's own.

Did you boil the DW before putting it in the tank? I did not boil my Mopani and had it show up, but the pieces of Malaysian DW I did boil (to cut down on tannins) and have yet to see the it.

Yea it's a new piece of wood but it's not in the tank and the "fuzz" still appears after tear down -_-

I'm gonna boil the wood now (didn't do it the first time, did soak it in hot water for an hour though)

How long did it take to go away?

So it appears where the wood use to be? It sounds like wood fungus to me. As Jcolon said it's harmless and will go away on it's own after a couple of months. You can try clean it off but it most likely will come back til it's run it's course.

Mumma.of.two said:
So it appears where the wood use to be? It sounds like wood fungus to me. As Jcolon said it's harmless and will go away on it's own after a couple of months. You can try clean it off but it most likely will come back til it's run it's course.

Yea it's where the wood was but I've removed an washed the gravel so it's not like it's the same gravel in that spot.

I've read it eventually sorts itself out but it's a terrible eye sore against black gravel lol.

Scouser said:
Yea it's where the wood was but I've removed an washed the gravel so it's not like it's the same gravel in that spot.

I've read it eventually sorts itself out but it's a terrible eye sore against black gravel lol.

Mmm. Maybe there are some spores or something still in that area? I know what you mean about the eye sore. Mine hung around for months. So long infact, I got use to it, then one day it was gone. Never to return.

Well the wood is boiling and so far no signs of regrowth after the gravel vac.

The new reflector for my light helps with seeing the minor spores on the gravel so it was £5 well spent!

Back
Top Bottom