Help Pls my ammonia is high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
and I have no clue what to do . Talking about this situation before some people suggest something lime Prime but I could not find it . I but they did have these little pills thing that bubbled that said it would clean it. I has not work yet .

:banghead: I been trying to fix this for a week now but I seem to be stuck.

BTW . I have 45 and it has 4 gold fish in it .

Have you cycled your tank yet? Either you are cycling or you have too many fish in a mature tank. I agree that 50% PWC's will keep the ammonia manageable until you can find out what the source of the problem is.

Ok next time I change water --- Later today. I will remove all the rocks and give them a good wash. ( no vac)

This tank as been up for a while. So it it is not cycling .

And have this test that hangs on the side my tank.

Also any one have a view point on those pills that side to take ammonia out ?

I would get an API Freshwater test kit, the thing your using usually isn't accurate IME. Also I wouldn't be using the fizzy tablets.

What type of water conditioner do you use?

I see you say you use a test that hangs on the tank, do you think it may be old and giving false results?

It is odd for a mature tank to have a high ammonia level out of the blue.

I don't really support the use of ammonia sequestering products, but in an emergency they can work.

NOTE: Since you don't have a gravel vac, I don't think you should clean ALL of the rocks at once. Maybe do 1/4 of the rocks one day, wait a few days then do another 1/4 and so on. Make sure you use de-chlorinated water to try to preserve some of the good bacteria that inhabit the gravel. However, a gravel vac would make the process much easier and less complicated, so getting one ASAP wouldn't be a bad idea.

I use Jungle start right .

I hate using stuff in my water was well :(. I think I am just going to after bite the bullet and put some stuff in my water.

Maybe it is my towns water. My turtle take ammonia level was hi as well . NO were close to as high as my fish tank however .But higher than normal.

Joeybsmooth said:
Ok next time I change water --- Later today. I will remove all the rocks and give them a good wash. ( no vac)

No! Washing them out of the tank kills the bacteria. You need a gravel vac, no option here.

This tank as been up for a while. So it it is not cycling .

And have this test that hangs on the side my tank.

They don't work very well or for long.
Also any one have a view point on those pills that side to take ammonia out ?

Useless. Concentrate on water changes perhaps even once a day.

Do you have enough filtration? Perhaps you are overstocked?

Ur ph has to be about 7 or neutral, this is important because if u ph is low is really hard for bacteria to grow

Water changes and a good quality liquid test kit for ammonia just in case the thing in your tank has failed are the key in this situation. Don't use anything other than a really good tap water conditioner to remove chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals. Yes, doing them daily until you find the problem is going to be the best solution.

Back
Top Bottom