Help sexing my Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critterlvrok

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think they may both be male. Can anyone help? They are in a 30g 36 inches long. If they are indeed male will they be ok together? The first two pics are of Peep and I'm uncertain about gender, the second 2 pics are of Bow and I'm fairly certain its a boy. Any idea's? Thanks!

Attachments

• image-4018429653.jpg
    image-4018429653.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2537082960.jpg
    image-2537082960.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image-4221436034.jpg
    image-4221436034.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3860181014.jpg
    image-3860181014.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 74
I am not totally positive, but they both sort of look like girls to me. The only reliable way I know of to sex them is by the curve of their belly, and both if these look like girls. Its a little hard to tell though.
If they are both the same gender, they should still be fine with each other. IME, 2 girls are more likely to fight than 2 boys. My boys never fought.

Thank you. It's very confusing and the more I look at them the more confused I become. One minute I think I have a M and F, next minute I think something else. I am not sure how young they are but peep has gotten more color in just a few days. I was hoping I could get better pics but they are offended I'm trying to look under their skirts!

i have 2 german blues and both are male. they were purchased at the same time. they are a year old now and they get along fine. they swim together and eat together and rest together. never any problems. you'll really love them. they have a ton of personality! :)

Well it's official! They are indeed 1 male and 1 female and much to my surprise we have eggs. I'm so excited and I hope they do well.

Attachments

• image-1245080105.jpg
    image-1245080105.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-4007189650.jpg
    image-4007189650.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 67
Congrats! one way to tell between them is too look for a reddish patch over the stomach area. When the female is ready to breed, her stomach turns red, while the male's doesn't. Hope this helps! Oh and NEVER get Bolivian rams, they are viscous! German Blues are sweet and peaceful.

Congrats! one way to tell between them is too look for a reddish patch over the stomach area. When the female is ready to breed, her stomach turns red, while the male's doesn't. Hope this helps! Oh and NEVER get Bolivian rams, they are viscous! German Blues are sweet and peaceful.

really? My bolivians don't bother anyone, and even while breeding they were relatively peaceful, except to one Bleeding heart tetra who had a hard time learning to leave the eggs alone.

I guess it depends on the fish, but mine attacked everything in my tank. they chased my tetras, shredded my bettas fins, and almost killed my corys.

Yeah, too true! THe ones i had where a pair, they where actually my sister's. bt they eventually died...I wonder how... :whistle:
JK!

Oh now fishgeek, my Ram's are the sweetest fish ever. Well okay maybe not as sweet as my glass cats (who love to rub against you when your hand is in the tank) but they don't bother any of the other fish in the tank and the only hints of aggression have been towards each other and then protecting the eggs today. I've never had German Blues but I am really enjoying my Bolvians. :fish2::fish2:

But.....I do have a male GW Killifish that is a Holy Terror!!

Haha, i was just kidding about me killing the bolivians, they eventually died, bi=ut i had nothing to do with it! I guess mine where just plain out mean, but i have heard of other people having problems with them. Oh and I love my glass cats, they are soo cute and sweet!

Back
Top Bottom