Help! What the heck are these?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ_117

Aquarium Advice Activist
5ab328b95374df6755713bd04168b39b.jpg

I came home to all of these little things crawling on the glass in my tank, and I have no idea what they are or they're a pest.

These only thing I can think of is that I have ghost shrimp in my tank, and they might have had babies. I'm not completely sure though because they don't look like shrimp. I'm about to do a WC and see what happens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

When ghost shrimp breed, the larvae that hatch from the eggs are planktonic and do not resemble the parents at all. They go through a few free swimming stages and after several molts, they start looking like the adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you described how they move? Hopping, crawling, darting? Free swimming or on the glass only.
My shrimp tank is a host for many types of harmless invertebrates such as copepods, seed shrimp, limpets, and occasionally, hydra and planaria.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They kind of crawl along the glass and will occasionally dart from spot to spot. They look like mites. I did a WC and didn't see anymore but I'm keeping my eye out

Usually its hard to get the little ghost shrimp from larval stage to adult stage because of what fresh2o said about there life cycle, so I would take my money off of that idea and go with the copepods which are not at all harmful to anything and are a great source of food for fish.

I haven't seen them back yet, but yeah copepods seems like a logical explanation. I had a buildup of brown/red algae so I thought they came from that, but I don't think that's the case

Back
Top Bottom