Help with Fish ID: Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they are harlequin rasboras, i have 8 of those guys with my von rios too. the rasboras color up with nice orange, pinkish, salmon colors. and check out their eyes, mine have like an orange rim, good colors.

+1. Harlequin rasbora (trigonostigma heteromorpha). Very cool fish, but you really should think about QTing. Just a worrier...

+1. Harlequin rasbora (trigonostigma heteromorpha). Very cool fish, but you really should think about QTing. Just a worrier...

well...all my tanks are empty and cycled except gravel :(...and I got them all (the fishies) around the same time. Every tank is a QT tank right now. I have one dedicated QT tank that has seen alot of meds, but otherwise I only use temp salt and melafix in any of my other tanks. No other meds.

The other three tanks are still under route in aquascaping. For now, this is as good as a QT tank until something manifests that needs serious meds.

they are harlequin rasboras, i have 8 of those guys with my von rios too. the rasboras color up with nice orange, pinkish, salmon colors. and check out their eyes, mine have like an orange rim, good colors.

These rasboras are the awesomest fish I have seen in a while. I love the colour and how active they are. They are elegant and lively. I have species only tanks for so long, I had no idea how much fun a community tank could be!!! It makes having a planted tank that much more enjoyable.

I would love to see full pictures of your setup. Gonna check out your profile. Or if you have a link, please post it. :):):)

well...all my tanks are empty and cycled except gravel :(...and I got them all (the fishies) around the same time. Every tank is a QT tank right now. I have one dedicated QT tank that has seen alot of meds, but otherwise I only use temp salt and melafix in any of my other tanks. No other meds.

The other three tanks are still under route in aquascaping. For now, this is as good as a QT tank until something manifests that needs serious meds.

Ok. I gotcha and have been known to do the same in the past if the fish looked healthy. Try to put a "QT period" on the tank instead. I've seen a single healthy looking fish dessimate a tank with disease so I tend to be somewhat paranoid. I guess I just worry.

I would love to see full pictures of your setup. Gonna check out your profile. Or if you have a link, please post it. :):):)

cruddy vids for now but im getting a new camera tomorrow, just in time for the iowa state fair!!! good pics and vids to follow!!! but for now...

here is my you tube link...

Yes, I agree that it's an Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra.
I myself thought they were SO cute and was going to get them myself, but LFS near me don't sell them.

As for the belly, I suggest you keep the feeding light. Also, just like any other fish, you should allow a day each week to not feed them to allow proper digestion.
If this "diet" does not show any changes in the chubiness, it could be a different problem or just the way the fish is.

As for more friends, all Tetras need a group of at least 6-8. Hopefully your LFS carries them as they aren't commonly sold Tetras, and there is very little info on them.

Good luck! Such a cute fish!

EDIT: I only read the first page so my answer may have seemed a little behind, lol...
Now that I have read the others-

Yup it's a Harlequin Rasbora, great fish! Very hardy and cute :)
Hope I could help :)

Last edited:
some type of fish are SUPPOSED to have bellies like that... Eh this guys just special! I wouldn't worry about it =]

BTW, hav u named it? and maybe its pregnant O.O lol disregard that theory since its been like that for months.

not to mention tetras dont get pregnant ;)

Beautiful fish Kai! Glad to see you're getting a tank back up and going, we've missed you around here :)

Thanks, it is good to be getting back to normal. I missed by finned buddied these last couple months.

As for these comments...I knew tetras didn't get pregnant, but...is there any way to sex tetras. Will females get more plump when they carry eggs and a male is around?

BTW, hav u named it? and maybe its pregnant O.O lol disregard that theory since its been like that for months.

For now it's name is Mr. Chubs. I have no idea how to sex tetras...it might be a girl too :p. In which case, it might change to Bertha.

Thanks, it is good to be getting back to normal. I missed by finned buddied these last couple months.

As for these comments...I knew tetras didn't get pregnant, but...is there any way to sex tetras. Will females get more plump when they carry eggs and a male is around?

I know with the neons the female is plumper and the males are more streamlined. Same for your rasboras. When I got our harlies (harlequins) after about a week they had spawned. Had eggs all over the bottom side of an amazon sword leaf but they were devoured by evening.

Sexing a Von Rio Tetra

Each species of Tetra is sexed differently.
I copied and pasted this from a website about Von Rio's

**** The male has a blood red anal fin while the females is lighter and sometimes yellow. The black tip on the pectoral fin is seen only on the female.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT- I believe you asked to sex your Tetras, but I'm mistaken let me know and I'll help you sex your Harlequins too.

Each species of Tetra is sexed differently.
I copied and pasted this from a website about Von Rio's

**** The male has a blood red anal fin while the females is lighter and sometimes yellow. The black tip on the pectoral fin is seen only on the female.

Hope that helps :)

Ohhhh...hrm.

I just took a look at the three von rios that I have. They have all coloured up nicely since being added to the tank. They are all even brighter than in the LFS. However, none of them have a black tip that I can see right now. Chubs and one other look very similar in colour while the third is definitely brighter and has a deep red anal fin. He also appears to be skinnier than the other two, but that isn't too difficult next to Chubs.

I will wait another week and see if they colour up any more.

Thanks for the info. +1 :D

I know with the neons the female is plumper and the males are more streamlined. Same for your rasboras. When I got our harlies (harlequins) after about a week they had spawned. Had eggs all over the bottom side of an amazon sword leaf but they were devoured by evening.

Thanks for the info +1

I will keep an eye on the rasboras. They look so similar, I can hardly tell right now.I would love to host some egg layers. I have never had this chance as I previously always kept angels, puffers, livebearers, and snail tanks. My angels basically ate everything I put in the tank besides a fiddler crab, a BN, and otos.

Were you ever able to get the eggs to hatch? Should I put in some ground cover to protect the eggs or will it not matter?

Back
Top Bottom