HELP WITH NEW SYSTEM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nawlins9175

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a complete rookie to aquariums but want to take the plunge so I need some advice from all you experts out there.

I am planning on buying a 46 gallon acryllic setup this weekend and need some help on what else I will need for a nice freswater setup.

First off, how do you feel about acryllic vs. glass setups? Pros / Cons

What else do I need? I'm thinking about getting a Rena XP2 or XP3 filter? Is XP3 overkill for a 46 gal setup? Do both models have inline heaters and will I need an additional heater if I go with one of these models?

Air pump or powerhead....what are these for and do I need? Brands / Models suggested?

Water conditioner?

Should I buy a setup with wet/dry filtration system already installed? Pros/ Cons?

Anything else that you could think of would be a big help for a rookie?

Thank you so much and this site is so cool? Never knew anything like this existed.

First, acryllic scratches easier than glass. But it is also lighter and more durable. If it's in a place where it could get scratched up alot, then I'd prefer glass instead. But if not, acryllic is good also.

As for filter, the XP2 will do you just fine. Or if you want the extra filtering media, then the XP3 is great as well, and can also turn the flow down if needed.

As for the heater, inline isn't required with them, but they come in handy. Gives you the ability to heat the tank without the clutter of a submersed heater in the back of the tank. I'll personally have inlines from now on. the Hydor ETH 201 and 300 (both are 5/8 inch) are the ones that fit the XP2/XP3 as well. The ETH 200 (1/2 inch) is a smaller fitting size.

With the flow from the XP2/XP3, no need for a powerhead.

Water Conditioner: Prime....

I wouldn't do a wet/dry setup unless you know how to do it and want to get experience with it. The cannister is just fine.

Thanks for the advice. I think we are going with the 46 gal acryllic with an XP3 and an inline heater. I still don't understand what water conditioners are and why we need......can you suggest a brand name.

Anything else you can think of that I may need.....stocking ideas?

How do yo feel about online fish vendors?

For water conditioners, all I use is Prime. What it does is removes chlorine and chloramine, so it doesn't kill off the beneficial bacteria which your tank needs to remove the ammonia the fish create, as well as decaying food. The bacteria turn the ammonia into nitrite, then nitrite into nitrate, which is safer for the fish. But you still need to do water changes to keep the nitrate levels down.

As for stocking ideas, depends on what you want. Community? Agressive? Semi-Agressive? Etc..... What would your primary fish be? The primary fish would be your centerpiece fish. If we knew that, would be easier working around that in giving some stocking selections.

Congrat's on getting your first tank! And kodus for getting advice before you set the tank up!

I second lone wolf - Get some prime.

Give some thought to the type of fish you want - Are you planning on getting plants?? If so you'll need to budget for lighting (Which may effect your filter selection)

If you like the look of them I'd really recommend starting off with a pair of Gourami's. I really like the way the behave, they react to each other in a lot of different ways and seem to almost have moods. They are also pretty bombproof. They can breath oxygen straight off the surface and evolved in an environment where the water conditions could change very quickly. So if you make some mistakes early on you have a better chance of not paying for it with dead fish. This is just my opinion though - I'm sure someone out there will disagree with me though.....

That being said - If you don't like the look of them - don't get them. Remember that most fish live for several years (at least) and fish can only be kept in certain groups (Oscars with Tetras, for example, is a really bad idea) so the first fish you choose will pretty much determine the type of tank you will have.

The most important thing in this hobby is research - Don't do anything until you 99% sure that you are doing the right thing!

Keep asking questions, best of luck and enjoy!!

Thank for the help y'all! I'm not sure what type of fish that I'd like yet. I really like the ciclids, but I wouldn't be able to have any other type of fish.

I went to our LFS today and I couldn't believe the markup they put on equipment in there. This is almost unbelievable, but the Rena XP3 filter that I bought online for $109 was $279 in the store. Wow! I'm in the wrong business. The fish were amazing though. I realize that I have so much to learn about this hobby and I know that this site will really help me.

A few questions:

1. Benefits of real plants vs. fake for fish and me.

2. What type of substrate to use. What is eco-gravel?

3. Is an inline heater worth the money?

Thanks

Benefits of real plants vs. fake for fish and me.

2. What type of substrate to use. What is eco-gravel?

3. Is an inline heater worth the money?

Live plants consume nitrates,which is what the tank will produce after it has cycled....its a good thing to help keep them down.

Substrate will depend on what you decide for plants,if at all....check the planted forum stickies for clarification on which substrate vs watts per gallon.

Inline heaters work well and offer a much cleaner look in the tank...less clutter...all in what you want I suppose or care to spend.

Welcome to AA!!

Back
Top Bottom