Help with Puffers???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackGostKnife

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey i just got a new tank and have a black gost knife and thats it, can freshwater Puffers go in there with him and can you have more then one frestwater puffer with out them killing/hurting each other?

I'm sure you'll get more informed responses on this question BlackGhostKnife, but I would be inclined to say that this is a very bad idea. Black GHost Knives are sensitive fish with that get very large (up to 1.5 feet; I hope you have a large aquarium). Puffers are highly aggressive fish that love to nip fins. NOT a good thing for Black Ghosts, which rely greatly only their long, wavy anal fin for propulsion. Also, most FW puffers like a slightly alkaline pH, while BGKs like a neutral-to-acidic pH. And, some of them prefer brackish water to fresh...

Call me a coward, but I usually err on the side of caution when combining fish. There can be terrible consequences to putting incompatible fish together. For example: if your ghost (how large is he/she?) is abused by the puffers (which species are you thinking of? Brazillian/Peruvian, Indian Dwarf, etc?), he/she may come out traumatized and shabby looking (with nips throughout the anal and other fins).

Generally, BGKs do well in a community tank, or by themselves, not with aggressive fish. They are very shy, and nocturnal. They HATE bright light. Do you have a Ghost Tube or a hollow log for him/her to hide in during the day? Quite important... A black light/red light for night viewing?
How powerful is/are your light/lights?

Are you familiar with www.fishbase.org? Here is the link to the Black Ghost page for future reference, though it doesn't have as much info as other fishbase pages, unfortunately.
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=12220&genusname=Apteronotus&speciesname=albifrons

Another good site to check out is www.liveaquaria.com. Here is the link to their BGK page.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=857
They say that you need at least a 50-gallon tank to house the guy when he gets bigger. Sounds about right... And that's conservative.

Choose other fish wisely (nothing too small; nothing too large or aggressive). It sounds like you might do best with a species-only tank, or with some gouramis/plecos.

Oh, and lastly, you have to be very careful with puffers. As I understand it, they can be housed together while juvenile, but they will get aggressive when older. The best idea is to try and get a 1 female/1 male combo, or a few females and one male. (Feel free to correct me, anyone else, if I'm wrong!)

Best of luck.

I keep dwarf (malabar) puffers, which are true FW, and indeed are very aggressive, though incredibly interesting. I do not have any experience with the BGK, though, so can't help there, but I do know that you really have to be careful about FW puffer tankmates. I would definitely be hesitant to combine the knife with them.

Back
Top Bottom