Help with water changes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chilly Willy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Since I've setup my tank I've done weekly water changes (Every Sunday Night). I have a 55Gal FW no live plants. I take out about 1/4 to 1/3 of the water and then replace it with tap water.

I noticed after water changes that my pH levels would spike up about .5 I tested a gallon of the water today before adding it my my tank and it was so dark blue it must have been over 8.0. I decided to add a product I have to reduce pH called Wardleys Sodium Biphoshate. This keep my pH at a neutral # of 7.0.

With all that said I was wondering if that is a safe way to do it or is there a better safer way to balance out my harsh tap water. I'm still very much a rookie but I'm trying my darnedest to do things the "right" or better ways.

Any input is greatly helpful to this fish tank newbie!!

When you do your water changes, do you use a python or a regular gravel vac and a bucket? You can always pour your tap water into 2 or 3 5 gal. buckets and put an airstone in each bucket. This will allow the gasses to come out of your water before putting it into your tank. That's what folks mean when they say they "age" their water.

After testing a glass of water that I let sit out over night it still comes in very dark blue on my test kit and reads 8.23 on my digital pH meter.

My tank rose slightly over night from 7.01 to 7.12

How long has your tank been set up? More important, do you know the KH and GH of your tank?

I don't often suggest this but there is a product called chemipure. If your water is very hard this will act as a softener. I'm curious why your tap water is over 8 and your tank is neutral. Knowing the KH especially will help.

I used a product called Wardleys Sodium Biphoshate to lower the pH to around 7 before adding it to my tank. Hench my tank being around 7pH.

I do test nH3 and nH4 but do not test for the other things as I'm too poor at the moment to buy those test kits :( . But rest assured I'll be getting those test kits too.

It's an excellent product Ray, but it is pricey. You just need to be careful that you aren't shocking your fish when doing water changes.

Back
Top Bottom