hiding platties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purrfect

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My platties are nowadays hiding inside a plant most of the time. Should I be worried? At first they liked to swim around a lot. Now they come out only when feeding or thinking that I am gonna feed them. The plant has grown bigger now and there is more room to hide. Some of the platties have also made fry, which is hiding in the same plant, too, if not eaten yet. First I thought that the big ones are looking for the fry to eat, but they are in the bush now almost all the time. Should I do something? :?

One of my platy females kept hiding in the "bushes". However, she was being bullied by the male. Do you have any of that going on in your tank. What are your temp. and water specs?

How about anything new added in the tank, or just outside of it? Also, what is your female to male ratio on the platies? You should have atleast 2, if not 3, females to every male. One male picking constantly on one female would be enough to make her hide, if that's the issue.

well my female mollys have been hiding in my log that i have and the male hasnt bred with them or harassed them

so IMHO i think that if the females feel unsafe about something they hide

The biggest one of them, which is female, harasses all the rest. She is a very energetic pig, who does not let any other fish to eat. I have six of them total. Two male, four female. I have never seen any other fish chasing another, except that one big female. The other one of the two males is clearly the smallest of all the fish. Temperature, 74 F, and other water parameters are fine. I was little worried about that one fish being mean, but didn't think it would mean this much. What should I do? I am tring to raise babies and that way get more fish there, 30 g tank. Now I have only two babies growing in a brand new floating breeder. Those ones I caught in the tank (they are difficult to catch), but now I could trap there a pregnant one instead. I do not have any other tank, except a tiny betta tank, where I could isolate that aggressive one. :( What to do?

My molly bosses all my fish around.. Catfish, tetras, swordtails and all... the only person she dosnt bother is the dwarf frog.. hehe women.. go figure

Back
Top Bottom