High Nitrates.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They could be chasing it but not likely. They will come out whenever they wanna really. You change your profile pic as much as you perform water changes BTW....

Convict2161 said:
They could be chasing it but not likely. They will come out whenever they wanna really. You change your profile pic as much as you perform water changes BTW....

Haha! I was tired of the old one lol! I have only seen him at night since I've bought him? He looks good so I guess I shouldn't worry!

AndrewsPistol said:
Haha! I was tired of the old one lol! I have only seen him at night since I've bought him? He looks good so I guess I shouldn't worry!

If it makes ya feel better I hardly see mine. He just sticks his head out of a Cichlid stone and just waits for feeding. Then at lights out I drop some sinking wafers for the rest of bottom dwellers.

Convict2161 said:
If it makes ya feel better I hardly see mine. He just sticks his head out of a Cichlid stone and just waits for feeding. Then at lights out I drop some sinking wafers for the rest of bottom dwellers.

My cichlids will not allow food to hit the bottom haha!

AndrewsPistol said:
My cichlids will not allow food to hit the bottom haha!

You'd be surprised. How do you think your bottom dwellers are still alive. Some food makes it there trust me. At night when all is quite. Drop some sinking pellets in there. I think you have some right?

Convict2161 said:
You'd be surprised. How do you think your bottom dwellers are still alive. Some food makes it there trust me. At night when all is quite. Drop some sinking pellets in there. I think you have some right?

Yep :) I put em in every other day but the cichlids see it and eat most of em :(

Dug right down to the egg crate... See that layer of waste that is covered with sand? Could that be causing high trates? How do I get it out? I'm afraid if I try to vac it out it will stir it up more...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120512_120850.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120512_120850.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 67
Btw, my sand bed is not that deep every where that'd where they move it too, the front? Like building a door haha!

AndrewsPistol said:
Btw, my sand bed is not that deep every where that'd where they move it too, the front? Like building a door haha!

Certain areas it looks like you have 2-4 inch sand bed... That's pretty deep.

AndrewsPistol said:
It's brand new!?

Hmmm... I guess keep up in water changes and see if it levels out. They shouldn't be that high for this long. Something is wrong somewhere. You remember my issue and it leveled out now. I do smaller more frequent water changes.

Mumma.of.two said:
Have you tested with half tank water half nitrate free water yet? Or taken a sample to your LFS for testing?

Mumma what are you thinking? Something has to be going on no? All but 1 tank effected by this, something is up.

That's why I'm asking her to cross check the results against another test kit and dilute the water from the tanks to see if it really is that high. Something is definitely up like a bad test kits or massively high nitrates but without some more info and experimenting we won't find the answer.

Mumma.of.two said:
That's why I'm asking her to cross check the results against another test kit and dilute the water from the tanks to see if it really is that high. Something is definitely up like a bad test kits or massively high nitrates but without some more info and experimenting we won't find the answer.

Very true. All I know is she has well water of that makes a difference. Curious to find out what the issue is. Hope she finds out.

Like mumma said. I'd use distilled water @1/2 and tankwater@1/2 and see what your results are. Hopefully it's an easy fix for you. Are your fish doin ok so far?

I will do that today when I test. The fish are absolutely fine! I seen one flashing a little last night but other than that they are eating great and very active.

Back
Top Bottom