High Nitrates.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AndrewsPistol said:
That's how I was gonna do it ;) the 55 mixed is high, the 10g is high with shrimp, snails and guppy, the 5 is high with guppy fry. The 29g Peacocks is the only one normal.... Just a thought... All the filters are still packed with AngelsPlus active media... Should I keep it or toss it?

You've had that media for some time now right? I think you can toss it. Your media should well seeded by now. Also maybe a cause for your high levels. The more "stuff" you have in your filters the more space nitrAtes have to hold onto.

Make sense?

Convict2161 said:
You've had that media for some time now right? I think you can toss it. Your media should well seeded by now. Also maybe a cause for your high levels. The more "stuff" you have in your filters the more space nitrAtes have to hold onto.

Make sense?

Lots of sense :) ill get rid of it.

AndrewsPistol said:
Oh yea, I'm only running carbon in 1 ac, I have an extra sponge I could replace it with....

Carbon only last so long. And IMO isn't really good for anything but trouble or pulling out meds afterwards. I'd take the carbon out and maybe run some filter floss or polishing pads to pick up all the fine fine debris. You'd be surprised. I change my filter floss in my 75 African tank almost 3x's a week! But it works! Crystal clear water. Like glass!! :)

Convict2161 said:
Carbon only last so long. And IMO isn't really good for anything but trouble or pulling out meds afterwards. I'd take the carbon out and maybe run some filter floss or polishing pads to pick up all the fine fine debris. You'd be surprised. I change my filter floss in my 75 African tank almost 3x's a week! But it works! Crystal clear water. Like glass!! :)

K, ill toss that too! Still tryin to get my hands on polishing pads :)

AndrewsPistol said:
K, ill toss that too! Still tryin to get my hands on polishing pads :)

You can use filter floss or if you have a Walmart or Target around them country roads you can get some pillow stuffing, something like that it comes in bulk, it's in a huge bag and you just pull apart or cut what you need. It's good stuff. Just make sure it's the natural stuffing. Even filter floss is cheap in bulk.

Convict2161 said:
I use the same, a python. What I do is empty tank water from the hoses going to my canister into 5 gallon buckets. I then just swish around the media or sponge in the buckets. Yes it gets dirty but your still getting all the "gunk" off the media or sponge. Then I just put everything back in its place. You don't wanna wash anything in tap water. 1 because it's untreated and 2 your gonna wash all the BB away. Trust me. It's getting clean...

Oh yea I never use tap water. I just wasn't getting much gunk off with my method and I don't have any buckets. But it looks like ill have to buy some.

paytertot said:
Oh yea I never use tap water. I just wasn't getting much gunk off with my method and I don't have any buckets. But it looks like ill have to buy some.

You'll be much happier with say two 5 gallon buckets. That will do the trick.

Convict2161 said:
You can use filter floss or if you have a Walmart or Target around them country roads you can get some pillow stuffing, something like that it comes in bulk, it's in a huge bag and you just pull apart or cut what you need. It's good stuff. Just make sure it's the natural stuffing. Even filter floss is cheap in bulk.

I'll look for it for sure ;)

AndrewsPistol said:
Just got the 55 and 29 done... 2 more to go!

The 55 has the 2 AC 110's right? Your running what with it? Sponge an what else? Also I'm just trying to brain storm here as to why 3 tanks have high readings. Text me when you get a chance.

I always have about 40ppm of NitrAtes in my 75g and we have the same stock pretty much.

Convict2161 said:
The 55 has the 2 AC 110's right? Your running what with it? Sponge an what else? Also I'm just trying to brain storm here as to why 3 tanks have high readings. Text me when you get a chance.

I always have about 40ppm of NitrAtes in my 75g and we have the same stock pretty much.

Yep 2 of em one has sponge, biorings(?), cc and I just tossed the angels plus media. The other one has sponge and biorings, just tossed the carbon.

AndrewsPistol said:
Yep 2 of em one has sponge, biorings(?), cc and I just tossed the angels plus media. The other one has sponge and biorings, just tossed the carbon.

So sponge then those bio rings from aquaclear right? That should be plenty. An you have the power head for extra movement. What kind was it? I forget. The koralia 425? You have the AC's set on the + mark?

Also your fry are ok? If so that's a good thing. Def not the test kit right?

Convict2161 said:
So sponge then those bio rings from aquaclear right? That should be plenty. An you have the power head for extra movement. What kind was it? I forget. The koralia 425? You have the AC's set on the + mark?

Yes, yes and yes ;)

Getting ready to test the waters... Did big wc's yesterday and cleaned filters... Hoping for good results! Semi nervous of a mini cycle after tossing the angels plus media... There was a lot in there!!

AndrewsPistol said:
Getting ready to test the waters... Did big wc's yesterday and cleaned filters... Hoping for good results! Semi nervous of a mini cycle after tossing the angels plus media... There was a lot in there!!

Guess we'll see what happens... Good luck

Wow. These results are CRAZY.

55: Ph 8.0 (dropped .2)
Amm 0
Trite 0
Trates 80/160ppm or more? Very red :(

29: Ph 8.2 (up .2 added cc last week)
Amm 0
Trite 0
Trates 5?! (Down 5)

10: Ph 7.8
Amm 0
Trite 0
Trates 40/80 ppm (almost in check)

5: Ph 7.8
Amm 0
Trite 0
Trates 5?! (Way way down!)

I can't wrap my head around this craziness.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120512_102129.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120512_102129.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 48
AndrewsPistol said:
Wow. These results are CRAZY.

55: Ph 8.0 (dropped .2)
Amm 0
Trite 0
Trates 80/160ppm or more? Very red :(

29: Ph 8.2 (up .2 added cc last week)
Amm 0
Trite 0
Trates 5?! (Down 5)

10: Ph 7.8
Amm 0
Trite 0
Trates 40/80 ppm (almost in check)

5: Ph 7.8
Amm 0
Trite 0
Trates 5?! (Way way down!)

I can't wrap my head around this craziness.

Well think about it... Your 55 is stocked to the max with some big Africans right? So more fish more food more bio load etc... You also have a pleco in there right? Poop machines without a doubt! Your probably just gonna have to do more frequent water changes. I stopped doing 1 weekly and now do smaller more frequent changes and I have no more issues. Have you lost any fish? Missing any? Any food just laying around? Have you turned the sand too much and kicked up a bunch of debris?

I think you'll be fine... That API nitrAte test gets everyone. I hate it. You dose Prime right? Have you tested you well water?

Bottom line... Your biggest most heavily stocked tank has the highest readings. Kinda makes sense to me. Just do your water changes and test in the morning. You may have to do daily changes until you get your levels under control. The pH drop I wouldn't worry about. It's probably do to the water changes. Now I'm setting up for my water change.

Convict2161 said:
Well think about it... Your 55 is stocked to the max with some big Africans right? So more fish more food more bio load etc... You also have a pleco in there right? Poop machines without a doubt! Your probably just gonna have to do more frequent water changes. I stopped doing 1 weekly and now do smaller more frequent changes and I have no more issues. Have you lost any fish? Missing any? Any food just laying around? Have you turned the sand too much and kicked up a bunch of debris?

I think you'll be fine... That API nitrAte test gets everyone. I hate it. You dose Prime right? Have you tested you well water?

Bottom line... Your biggest most heavily stocked tank has the highest readings. Kinda makes sense to me. Just do your water changes and test in the morning. You may have to do daily changes until you get your levels under control. The pH drop I wouldn't worry about. It's probably do to the water changes. Now I'm setting up for my water change.

Haven't lost a fish yet, still have the 2 inch Plec. I do have a couple big fish still, gonna juggle the female Peacock into another tank I think. Waiting on my driftwood to become water logged. I have cut wayyyy back on feeding. I have noticed that when I feed my compressiceps it polluted the water a bit, especially krill. They have pulled almost all the sand from the back to the front, they sift it daily, I can't help that tho. I quit vacing so much cuz u said I shouldn't go overboard haha. Daily wc's are not a problem. Kinda interested in the algea turf scrubber, maybe I will do a lil research on that today. My Syno has been out during the day which kinda has me worried cuz he NEVER comes out during the day... Wonder if my shellies are chasing him out of his den?

Back
Top Bottom