Hillstream Loaches for my tank -- yay or nay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've asked this question a thousand times probably, but I've given new thought to it. I have a 30 gallon tank that has great filtration with an Eheim 2213 canister filter (66 gallons). I have a spray bar that allows for fast water movement and plenty of surface movement. Also, I'll have a ton of plants in this tank. Would all of this supply enough oxygen in the tank for these great fish? I will also note that I have Panda Garra in this tank that need to have a good supply of oxygen and they've done fantastic. So what do you think? Should I get one or two, or pass on it totally?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pass totally. The amount of current they need will destroy your plants. Eheims are definitely not the best choice for a hill stream tank as they have low flow rates as compared to other filters in their class.

Pass totally. The amount of current they need will destroy your plants. Eheims are definitely not the best choice for a hill stream tank as they have low flow rates as compared to other filters in their class.

Okay. I'll pass on it. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The best hill stream tanks I've seen were species tanks - 20/33 longs with linear flows. Huge turnover rate to best simulate an actual river. Think those stationary swimming pool things.

Personally I don't think hillstream loach should be sold as pets they are taken directly out of the wild.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My friend has a few species.
75g tank
No heater
2 big HOBs and a Power Head. Lots of flow.

Lowered waterline so outflows roil the surface.

A ton of plants.
Jungle Val mostly and Crypts.

Hers bred recently and she spotted her first babies. The parents were also tank bred :)

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best hill stream tanks I've seen were species tanks - 20/33 longs with linear flows. Huge turnover rate to best simulate an actual river. Think those stationary swimming pool things.

Any idea what kind of turnover rates we're talking here? 10/hr? 20?!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom