HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfish93

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gallon tank and I am looking for a good HOB filter for it. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer a quiet one because it is right next to my bed and I don't plan on using carbon. One more question, can I replace the filter medium with something else like the foam rings from the canister filters? Do you think this would be a good idea?

Ok, you're gonna laugh, on our 10g, 29g and 55g (29g and 55g will be getting upgrades after the 120 is done) I just use the cheap Walmart AquaTech brand, but I have found mini-canister filters that handle 14g, and have 2 of those running on our 20g along with the UGF. I plan to order another one for our 10g and our 14g hex. I am very picky, but very impressed with the 2 I've got running now and highly recommend them.

Canister Filters: Rapids Mini Canister Filter at Drs. Foster and Smith

interesting. canisters are generally alot quieter than hobs, so thats always an option. im also in full agreement about the aquatechs. theyre not the greatest filtration (aquaclear is so much better) but for the price, aquatechs are pretty good... and theyre really really quiet

interesting. canisters are generally alot quieter than hobs, so thats always an option. im also in full agreement about the aquatechs. theyre not the greatest filtration (aquaclear is so much better) but for the price, aquatechs are pretty good... and theyre really really quiet

The 2 mini canisters that I've got running on the 20 are very quiet. Between that and the excellent filtration I'm very impressed which why I suggest them now. I've had them going for over a month and have had no problems with noise, clogging or even changing the media.

I haven't tried Aquaclear but I have heard good things about them and the Aquatechs I do use so agree with you there. I plan to upgrade all our tanks, 10g and up to canisters or mini canisters though. Mainly for the fact that I am finding canisters much easier to deal with all around :)

definately. i love my fluval canisters and plan on getting an fx5 for my 150g and using the 405 i have on it now on my 55. they are just all around easier to deal with, and no cartridges to replace (at least not in mine, just a simple rinse every other week)

The lfs where we get our fluvals (our 405 was only $155.00, such a steal!) anyways, he's getting some in this week and will have one set up so I'll get to check it out.

And we're so stealing this poor posters thread! Sorry bigfish!

It's ok guys. I love reading about all your oppinions in this hobby. I am very new and I want to know as much as I can. When I was little I would spend all my time at the zoo in the aquarium house watching all the fish. Well anyways I think I found a filter. CLICK HERE It might be a bit over kill though. Your opionion would be greatly appreciated

honestly, i think that would be a little too much overkill... you cant over filter a tank, but you can overpower it with flow. i think that would definately create too much flow... the tank would probably look like a toilet being flushed. how bout a fluval 205? if youre wanting a canister, that would be a good choice, imo

Thanks mfdrookie. I figured it would be too much for my little tank. I'm glad I checked. The canisters are more expensive up front, but they sound like they are worth it in the end. I think I'm going to go with the Fluval 205. Do you like your Fluval filters? Do you think they are good for a beginer?

like i mentioned earlier, im getting an fx5 to replace the 405 on my 150g and putting it in my 55g to get rid of the hob's i have on it. i love the fluval canisters. i have a 405 and 305 on my 150g and they do an awesome job. They are super easy to set up, cant hear them run, and they have so many options for mechanical and biological filtration. I just run the ceramic rings and the sponges on mine. And of course i have some carbon on standby in the unfortunate event that i would have to treat with meds (lets cross our fingers that doesnt happen)... All i do every other week is unhook the hoses, fill up a bucket with them, pull out my sponges and media trays, rinse out the can, shake the bio-rings around to get rid of any gunk, and squeeze the sponges in the water a couple times, do my pwc, fill up the canister, turn it on, wait a week, do the same on the other.

+1

I've had nothing but great results with our fluvals. Not saying anything bad about other canisters, I've never tried anything but the fluvals for our larger tanks and of course the minis on our small tanks.

AquaClear 20

the EHEIM 2213 is a lot better i know people using them in 20 gallon tanks. if you stuff it with floss it will lower the flow rate. i will never use fluvals again after mine broke down for the 6-7th time i went with rena xp.

my idea is to get the 2213 and upgrade to a 20 gallon. use the 10 gallon as a qt problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom