HOB Filter losing power?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camescu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I've got a fluval edge 23l. Had it for about 2 months now and all was going well. Recently I have noticed that the water cascading out of he top of the filter has lost a lot of power and now trickles in.

Is this something that can be easily rectified? I assume if the power has decreased then the rate at which water is filtered has dropped and therefore is not good for the inhabitants.

I'll have a look later. Doubt it can be clogged as I have a pre-filter on the inlet pipe. Unless I'm missing something (quite possible considering I'm noob to this)

Could have too much gunk in the pre-filter and regular. Just take out the filter media, clean it out in dirty tank water (best to do this during a water change) and see if that makes a difference. If not I would look into what warranty you have and see if the company can fix it.

Also look at the impeller. If that gets gunked up, it won't be able to rotate properly.

I would say as other have said, it's probably just gunked up. I don't think I've ever seen one where the motor gets weaker, they usually either run or die.

Impeller can get gunked up with anything, for example baby snails, and also the sponges could be clogged up on your intake or in your media which will cause reduced flow.

I am going with more than likely it is the impeller being clogged, or something right by the intake is clogged or dislogged.

Thanks for the info. I will do a water change this evening and have a look are impeller (I assume this is inside the filter?).

The pre-filter got swilled out a couple of weeks ago and since then I got some RCS who have been feeding off it. It LOOKS as clean as ever but I will try that as well.

I will report back my findings. :)

I don't know what's your filter, but the best option is to unmount the pump, clean if, put vaseline (just a bit petrolum gelly) on frictioning parts, clean filter media, and all the kit.

If it still have decreased power, maybe the pump have a problem ?

I have to completely take apart and clean my HOB filters about once a month (only swishing the media in old take water of course). I use a pipe cleaner type tool and an old toothbrush to get inside the tube where I can't reach. Normally there is gunk around my impeller and clogging the intake tube which slows the intake of water and the rate which the motor can turn. You might try doing this before worrying about something being wrong with the filter.
I have found that this is just a simple and necessary part of the cleaning routine.

Update.

Arrrghhhh. Cleaned as advised. Not as much gunk as expected but cleaned anyway. Reconnected as I can hear the motor running but the water isn't moving up the intake.

Looks like I will have a dead tank in the morning
:(

Did you try cleaning the inside of the motor, where the impeller sits? I take a q-tip and stick it in the motor part and clean around there. There's not usually much room inside, but often times, it's the little stuff that will mess it up and make the motor weak. Also, check on the impeller rod where the little black nubbies are and check for any hair that could be wrapped around the rod. I don't know how on earth hair gets there, but it does! It doesn't take much to make this part of the filter not work. Does the motor stop when you put water into it? Does it pick up water after this?
Don't give up! :)

I poured some water into the filter and it seems enough to get it flowing again (to what it was prior clean). So at least it is semi working and some water is turning around.

Yeah I used some cotton buds to scrape some gunk out of the inside and also cleaned up the black turny thing that the impeller sits on.

Make sure you fill it all the way with water before you turn it on, and it shouldn't have trouble pulling water up.

Think I will head to the LFS and discuss the poor filter. When the lights failed, he gave me a new set without question.

Back
Top Bottom