home depot slate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twinkey

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was planning to get slate from home depot...has anyone ever used it and had any issues with water quality and coloring of water

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a slate from Home Depot and used a screwdriver and a rubber mallet to make lots of smaller pieces than sanded of the edges. I really like it and have had no problems

Well actually since I posted, I have changed my mind....
I had chopped up 1 tile and used as decor for a 20L. I had it running empty with a filter for 2 weeks and I tested the ammonia and it was sky high. I did a 100% change, thinking it was just because the tank wasn't cycled and transferred my fish and filter from a 10gal. Then I started losing fish after fish, and did a huge water change and removed the slate. Thankfully the rest of fish are fine, but I'm not using the slate again.

It might just be the one piece, so I'd place the slate in a bucket of water, and test the tap water(All values), then test after 24 hours and a week later.

Well actually since I posted, I have changed my mind....
I had chopped up 1 tile and used as decor for a 20L. I had it running empty with a filter for 2 weeks and I tested the ammonia and it was sky high. I did a 100% change, thinking it was just because the tank wasn't cycled and transferred my fish and filter from a 10gal. Then I started losing fish after fish, and did a huge water change and removed the slate. Thankfully the rest of fish are fine, but I'm not using the slate again.

It might just be the one piece, so I'd place the slate in a bucket of water, and test the tap water(All values), then test after 24 hours and a week later.

Fish would have died because of the uncycled tank and ammonia rather than the slate. There's nothing in slate that will create ammonia because it is an organic byproduct.

Fish would have died because of the uncycled tank and ammonia rather than the slate. There's nothing in slate that will create ammonia because it is an organic byproduct.

Pure slate yes, but this slate can have other organic substances in it.

Still won't hurt to test it in a bucket, before using it.

That's odd. Slate should be pretty clean. I guess it would depend on how much it was cooked when it formed (or how hard it is). Was thinking of getting some here which looked good but just in passing found out it gets sprayed (accidentally) as part of their weed control (not Home Depot though).

be-careful as some slate is treated with a chemical to prevent staining , it wouldn't be fun adding the slate than to find your fish dying off because of it . ask questions and if you don't like the answers you can walk away . you will be able to tell if there just winging the answer or if it's truthful by how there tone is and if they can keep good eye contact or not , remember your fish are first and deserve to be safe .

Back
Top Bottom