Home for a rope fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caliskier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have reciently purchased a rope fish for my 125 gal, actully had him for about 10 days now. When I first put him in he went and hid in a black filter tube that had fallen off the filter. He was there while I cleaned the tank and then I put it back. Lately he stays at the top in the corner, but I just added some tiger barbs and they picked on him for about a minute until he went to the bottom. I added several as I know they usually get preocupied with themselves after they settle in. Anyhow, does anyone have a rope fish, do they like to live in pipes? Wanted to make a little home for him to let him get out of the buisiness of the tank when the lights are on.

Suggestions?

The best suggestion I have for you is to make sure there isn't a tiny spot that is open on your tank. They are escape artists.

I assume your tank is cycled? They do like to hide. Provide him with plenty of hiding spots. If you can get a pic of him, I'd love to see it.

I had a rope fish once. He loved to curl up and hide in all sorts of things. Actually, my rainbow shark got rather upset with him when he tried to steal his home. So, I put a conch shell in there, and he ended up spending the days in the shell (letting my rainbow go back into his home), and he spent the nights hunting for feeder guppies or anything else he could eat.

I miss my rope fish. He eventually died from ridiculously bad water parameters. Chemical levels were off the charts. That's what sucks about fishkeeping. If you hit a period of time where you truly don't have the time to do more than just a little feeding, pollutants build up, and eventually, death.

My rainbow though... he seemed to love horrid water. Only fish I had that survived over a year. I returned him to the pet store when I broke down my freshwater tank. I miss that fish.

Thanks guys, don't have a pic, yes I have closed the top of the tank. The tigers have pretty much left him alone this evening. My rainbow is 7 years old, next to the pleco who is also 7 he is the hardiest fish in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom