Honey vs. DG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
Alright everybody, I have a question!
So, my experience with honey gouramis has been that they are larger than dg. The honey I have seen/kept have ALL been 3 inches or even a little more. Yes, honey gouramis (Colisa chuna). The dg (Trichogaster lalius) I have experience with are all much smaller and only top at out at about 2 inches.
Based on this experience, I only suggest a dg for a 10g tank and a honey for more like a 20g tank. But, recently I have seen people saying honeys are actually smaller than dg and that honeys would do fine in 10g tank but dg are too big.
I am wondering what other people's experience is with these species so I can get a little perspective. The honeys I am familiar with all come from the same breeder (small town), so maybe I am just used to monster fish.
Thoughts?

The honey sunset gourami (colisa lalia) is just a color variant of the dg, right?
The fish I have experience with come from a local breeder and I am quite sure are colisa chuna. I wish I had a picture, but I don't. Maybe they have been given steroids or something, I don't know. Anyway, I am guessing that means that your experience with them is that colisa chuna stays smaller? How big have you sen them get?
I am just asking to make sure I am not basing my advice on a fluke fish that doesn't fit the "norm" of the species.

No experience, just something I've read on a few sites. The Sunset Honey Gourmi is a much smaller fish than the honey gourami.. which is what I meant... I think what you're hearing is about the Sunset Honey, rather than the Honey. That would make sense, based on your experience with them being larger than a DG. Two different fish with very similar names.

I am going to add that my internet research mostly honeys to be about 2 inches, but I have seen a couple of sites say up to 3.5 inches for females. So, I am starting to think 2 inches is the norm and I just happen to have seen a couple of monsters.
So, what you about dg? What size have people seen them reach?

Ok. Thats a possibility. I thought the sunset was just a dg. So, I am used to seeing honeys, and not the smaller sunset honey. People recommend the sunset for smaller tanks. Ug. It also doesn't help that the latin names for these fish species seem to be a little confusing too. I keep seeing more than 1 fish called by a single latin name.

Back
Top Bottom