Horabagrus brachysoma aka Asian Sun Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
actually, I think there are a lot of different names for the Horabagrus brachysoma, but I know it as a Asian Sun Catfish. So, to get to my point... I am upgrading my tank pretty soon and for the past three weeks there have been two little (4 inch) Sun Catfish hiding, literally curled up into a fake plant, at my LFS. I have absolutly fallen in love with them and I think they are adorable. However, in my research to see if they would be ok for my 30 gal (might possibly be 46 gal, but I'm working with the smaller number until I know for sure) tank. I've read that they can get to 9 inches in some places, and 18 inches in other. Everyone has said they are very shy, and like hiding places (obviously since the poor guys have wrapped themselves up into fake foliage... I mean really wrapped up) so if I can get them (or one), then I'll have a bunch of caves and plants to keep them happy. They also like the pH to fall somewhere between 6.8-7.5 ... and they'll eat anything they can get their mouth around.

Have any of you had experience with these fish? I really like them, but I don't want to have them in my tank if there is a possibility that they will out grow it (because I live in an apartment and I know I can't get a 55 gal or anything larger... I could just see my landlord freakin out... hehe). Also, I know I keep saying "them" and "them" just because I want both, but if I can only get one, and they won't be uncomfortable without another buddy from their species, then I'll do that too... but it'd be nice to have both *sigh* Thanks guys! You all have put up with so many questions from me since I got here. You guys rock and I am so glad I stumbled across this site! :D

Back
Top Bottom