Hospital/Fry Tank Sponge Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kzoofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to mature a sponge filter so if i need to quickly set up a fry or a hospital tank i can. I have never used a sponge filter so i had a few questions.

Is maturing a sponge filter as easy as running it in my main tank for a while unit benificial bacteria builds up? If so on average how long would this take?

Once the benificial bacteria is on the sponge can i store the filter until its needed? If so best method of storage?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

It is as easy as running on a mature tank for a while. This would take around 4 weeks I would say 5 to be safe.

I already use the method you are going to use. It may not be aesthetically pleasing but I put the matured sponges at the bottom of the tank. The bacteria stays alive and the sponge can simply be taken out of the tank when needed. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

you need to keep the filter running in a tank with fish in it to keep the bacteria alive
I hook the sponge up as a pre filter o my canister intake hose

This may be a stretch, but after the sponge is filled with beneficial bacteria. Can I put it in a container with tank water, and once a week during water changes, empty and fill the container?

This may be a stretch, but after the sponge is filled with beneficial bacteria. Can I put it in a container with tank water, and once a week during water changes, empty and fill the container?

No. Refer to post #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

This will only work if you're dosing the container with pure ammonia daily so the bacteria has enough food to stay alive. "Feeding" it with tank water once a week is too infrequent and will cause the bacteria to starve and die off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom