How can I "safely" pet my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

humdedum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:confused:This will sound weird, but cichlid keepers and the like, plz plz read on.

I have heard quite a bit about cichlid keepers and other fish keepers who pet their fish, and the fish enjoy it. I have seen pictures of fish being stroked by hand.

I have also heard a good deal on how by no means touch a fish with your bare hand, as this will strip to protective slime coating.

I very much want to stroke my fish, especially a favorite that I have, but at the same time i am scared of doing anything that might harm the fish.

Is this a thing of just, you know, if you have pristine water conditions, it won't be a problem? Or is there some secret I'm missing out on? I even considered dipping my finger in Stress Coat. ^.^

If most everyone says not to touch fish, then I'll just go for my dog again. ^.^

Thanks,

Isabelle

Don't ever touch fish with a dry hand. If you're gentle I don't think you'd see much ill effect from touching them underwater. Don't use a net though, since their struggling against the mesh can damage their slime coat. Try feeding high quality food like bloodworms or blackworms, or bits of beef liver, from your hand.

I can pet mine by hand at any time, when I stick my hands in there to move things around and turn the sand my angels usually are right between my fingers, my betta was shy at first but he has even started swiming thru my fingers. I am going to try feeding them by hand tuesday on their next feeding day.

When I stick my hands in the tank the Africans naturally swim to my hand and rub against me. They have to feel comfortable with you. Let them come to you, don't chase them. Make sure your hand is clean and just stick it in the tank.

watch out for the ones who bite lol try hand feeding them. personally just dont see the thrill.

I could pet my old fire eel and TSN catfish. My current fish inflict to much pain from a bite ;)

Mollies and Angels will come right to you. Theyre constantly chewing..er whatever it is fish do with their mouths... on my fingers or arm. While there hanging around I can touch them without them caring.

Okay, thanks. Whirlaway and Somethingroyal come right up and bump rub against my fingers in the tank, and I worried they were stripping their slime coat. Thanks!

I can pet my golden snoflake moray eel. i have to be carfull sice they have mild venom, or so i hear.

For fear of repercussions by the moderators Ill refrain from the numerous crude jokes I have at the moment. hahaha
In all seriousness tho I feed my betta by hand all the time and when I rearrange the tank my fish often swim right by me and against my arm. They learn eventually that you arent trying to eat them. Oddly enough I have a bigger problem with shrimp latching onto my arm when I stick my arm in to do maintenence

Mollies and Angels will come right to you. Theyre constantly chewing..er whatever it is fish do with their mouths... on my fingers or arm. While there hanging around I can touch them without them caring.

This!

I've just got my first four mollies, first time I put my hand in to place pea puree proximally to my plec they came and said hi. Rubbing, sucking, headbutting. It was kinda fun. Can't believe how playful they are, really, specially since they're not used to me yet! They'll learn, first time I hoik one out and pop it on a chip buttie. :devilish:

Back
Top Bottom