How common is Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Both my cousin and my brother have endured the infamous White-Spot Disease (Ich/Ick) Is there anyone out there who has never had Ich? I'm a little scared that I will have to deal with this at one point.

I've dealt with it twice already. its pretty common, but its easy to eradicate if you have Tropical fish.

I had it twice. Just be prepared for it and know what you are going to do ahead of time. The first time was terrible and got bad advice (pre aquarium advice forum) and lost many fish, last time did better and only lost one.

No chemicals are necessary.

At the first sign, you bop the temp up to 86 F

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from substrate

Depending on your species, you can add aquarium salt

Do not stop this program until a week after you've seen the last spot on the fish

Your "Ich" Question

Both my cousin and my brother have endured the infamous White-Spot Disease (Ich/Ick) Is there anyone out there who has never had Ich? I'm a little scared that I will have to deal with this at one point.

Hello p...

If you read this forum, fish are infected all the time. The "Ich" parasites live in most tanks. But, if you follow a sound tank management routine, your fish will be healthy and very unlikely to be infected.

Stress is a major cause of "Ich" problems. Sudden temperature changes, being what I call a "water change slacker", in other words a tank with traces of ammonia and nitrites in it, you know dirty water, careless netting. Stuff like this will decrease the fishes' immune system and the "Ich" parasites can infect your fish.

There are other ways your fish can be infected, like not rinsing plants properly, allowing water from an infected tank into your tank. Dirty ornaments and gravel can also cause an infection.

So, be a good tank manager by changing out half the tank water every week and your fish will be fine.

B

Back
Top Bottom