How did the snails get in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks ohneil...that makes sense. the one i caught was in the leaf of the java fern. the one in the glass and the one in the back of the filter in the picture are hiding somewhere still. i hope there are really only two left....is there a specific lettuce they like or a normal romaine is okay?

I just cleared my tank of snails with lettuce. Every night I put a couple of weights on a piece and let it sit on the gravel overnight. Just pull out the lettuce in the morning and it is loaded with snails. Took four nights and now it's under control. All the snails went in a tub to be be rehomed to my brother-in-law's pond in the spring. Some of the baby snails ate mystery snails too. I Must have pulled at least two hundred snails out of the tank and it's only a 25 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

oh my i hope the snails in my tank is not that much yet...i originally saw 3 and caught one. so i hope i only have to lure 2 more

thanks ohneil...that makes sense. the one i caught was in the leaf of the java fern. the one in the glass and the one in the back of the filter in the picture are hiding somewhere still. i hope there are really only two left....is there a specific lettuce they like or a normal romaine is okay?

Romaine is a good idea. Since it's already "dead" it should be attractive to your snails. Just remember to clean it well before putting it in your tank (wouldn't want any pesticides, etc to get in your tank).

got it...thank you again...I can't wait for all of them to be gone (if they are more than 2)

I am praying that I would not have to worry about this snails in my 10G and 5G. So far, I have not seen any there. But knowing that they also have the same java moss that is in this tank, I am anxious that I might have to deal with the same problem later on...

they came in as eggs or riding on a random plant..if you dont mind getting 1 more fish but a single 2" clown loach within 3days all snails gone and ther will be no snails as long as its in the tank

Hey daileene, I'm experiencing the very same thing right now in my 75g. Bought two plants from an LFS and now I got several of those exact snails running around my tank. Two have even gained some size already haha.

I've read on the internet as well as my LFS told me/showed me that cucumbers work very well. The article I read before I came back to the LFS also said lettuce worked but it didn't work that well for me. I noticed a bunch of snails on a piece of cucumber when I came back to the LFS and they told me cucumbers that worked best for them. Just don't leave it in for a very long time, over several days I was told.

Good luck!

Romaine is a good idea. Since it's already "dead" it should be attractive to your snails. Just remember to clean it well before putting it in your tank (wouldn't want any pesticides, etc to get in your tank).

Just saw your post, Romaine lettuce is what I originally put in but it didn't seem to work for me as well as it has for others. Weird.

You are at a good place with tank, lots of options. If no fish right now, you could use the liquid snail rid product from store. You could also take out plants & large objects and salt dip to help with results. 1 clown loach may help?
Some people salt dip all live plants, I do. How long has your tank been on fishless cycle? Did u happen to add any liquid "good bacteria" product to hasten the cycle? I would think you want to rid the tank of snails asap, they will overpopulate. You will never get rid of the snails in my opinion with out snail rid, (eggs). yikes! Good luck!

I've only noticed mine just a few days ago, and now I have two that are quite big for only being around less then a week...

img_1241900_0_086700e079c8c4ec7d4a3b89c7bb4902.jpg

I've read on the internet as well as my LFS told me/showed me that cucumbers work very well. The article I read before I came back to the LFS also said lettuce worked but it didn't work that well for me. I noticed a bunch of snails on a piece of cucumber when I came back to the LFS and they told me cucumbers that worked best for them. Just don't leave it in for a very long time, over several days I was told.

Good luck!

Hello....thank you so much for the cucumber option...if the lettuce will not work, I will do the cucmber....

the cucumber workd good for catching live snails if they have been in ther for any length of time more then 2-3 days they would have layed eggs and you will have more snails again in a week or so. buying a clown loach about 2" size is the only way to get a tank 100% snail free for an extended period of time because under good conditions clown loaches can live 20 or so years so a 10$ fish to control snails infinetly is a realy good idea

I had the exact same thing happen to me I had purchased plants from a local fs and these little snails had hitched a ride straight into my tank and made themselves very comfortable. They look like pond snails (Lymnaeidae). I had a very difficult time getting rid of these snails without introducing new fish or chemicals I literally had to strip my tank bare and it still took me months to eliminate them all. They breed extremely quickly, their eggs are laid below water level and are very hard to spot because they are a clear gel laid on just about anything such as the glass, decor, and plants etc. If you do decide you don't want to keep the snails I would act promptly because they can get out of control quickly and are a pain in the behind to eliminate. Hope this might help...Good luck.

I had the exact same thing happen to me I had purchased plants from a local fs and these little snails had hitched a ride straight into my tank and made themselves very comfortable. They look like pond snails (Lymnaeidae). I had a very difficult time getting rid of these snails without introducing new fish or chemicals I literally had to strip my tank bare and it still took me months to eliminate them all. They breed extremely quickly, their eggs are laid below water level and are very hard to spot because they are a clear gel laid on just about anything such as the glass, decor, and plants etc. If you do decide you don't want to keep the snails I would act promptly because they can get out of control quickly and are a pain in the behind to eliminate. Hope this might help...Good luck.

Yes, I am not planning on keeping the snails. I am trying the lettuce first. If this won't work, I will try the cucumber. If that will still not work, I will try the DIY trap that Jason suggested to me....thanks.

I had a major snail infestation in my 10 gal they lay eggs within a day of being born and are asexual so they don't need 2 I got assassins snails 3 cleared it in a day I don't feed them and they still living 7 months later they don't eat my plants. The common snails do but goodluck u will learn picking at them don't help

Daileene, how is that snail problem goin? Did the lettuce work?

I cant see what type of snail it is on my phone...but search maylasian trumpet...if it is them you would rather have them than not. They live mostly in the gravel clean excess food and fish poo and turn the gravel. They will have a population boom in the first months but after a while they will slowly start to establish a good balance with the space.they have.
If they are ramshorns or nerites. Try to remove them manually as u see them or on water changes. Easy way is to drop an algae wafer in the tank just after the lights go out. Wait a few hours and they will cover it.
I have thousands of trumpets in my planted tank. My rule is...if they are on the glass on water change days they go in a zip lock ride via the trash.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AquariumAdvice

Ps...trumpet snails dont lay eggs. They have live born. If it makes eggs it is pry more of a hassel than a helper.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AquariumAdvice

Back
Top Bottom