How do you eat your zucchini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I like mine baked in the oven, then covered with butter, mmmm.....

Oh, was thinking squash, lol :lol:

Now, for my fire red dwarf gouramis? They take it a bit more serious, lol. I cut the zuchini in half length-wise, and poke food weights in one end, enough so it bobbs off the bottom of the tank and stands straight up. The gouramis start at the bottom. but the way they eat it, it's like they are trying to peel it away from the green skin. After a while, I look into the tank, and a gourami goes to the bottom, then up into the zucchini, lol. His whole body is almost completely vanished 8O , then he backs back out. Boy do they have character, lol.

Now lets hear all your zucchini stories... (y)

I had a pleco that attached itself to a slice of zuc and sailed around the tank because of the output tubes from the filter causing the current. :D

Lonewolfblue said:
I like mine baked in the oven, then covered with butter, mmmm.....

Oh, was thinking squash, lol :lol:

Um...zucchini is squash.... :roll:

Raw ir blabched seems best for most fish....just tie it to a rock or log.

Toirtis said:
Um...zucchini is squash.... :roll:

The one I was thinking about baking is the big yellow squash. The zucchini I feed them is much smaller, like a cucumber, and is green. :)

My pleco is a stubborn creature, likes to have his own way! One time i accidentally put the zuchini on the the right side of the tank, when I usually leave it on the left for the pleco. He stuck his mouth on the zuchini and swam all the way (attached to the zuchini) to the left side of the tnak to eat it as usual. :p

Nothing like butternut squash...steamed and then baked in oven. :)

Now, as far as the fish are concerned, I used to serve it sliced and blanched but it seems the adults cannot stand it this way. So now it's raw, sliced lengthwise, attached to a couple of rocks and they have a pretty good time with it. I noticed they also like it served on a bamboo stick; sorta like zucchini ka-bobs. :D

i cut mine into rounds, poke holes in the raw slices so they sink a little better and then skewer them with poultry trussing skewers which i shove into the substrate. the saes go for the soft middle while a lot of my plecos like to rasp on the skin. i have a funny pic in my gallery of how my red ramshorns eat a slice--from the middle out :)

For me:
A layer of thinly sliced green zucchini between a layer of sliced plum tomato, and a layer of sliced portabello mushrooms; seasoned with thyme, majoram, and fresh basil; sprinkled with Asiago or hard provolone cheese; and baked 375oF until the cheese melts. (y)

For the BN plec:
A nice thick slice of green zucchini microwaved for 20 sec, allowed to cool, and secured with a veggie clip. (y)

I prefer the skinny green zucs for both purposes because they don't have those big hard seeds that neither I nor my fish care for.

I use veggie clips!!! Just cut slices long or short and put them in. In my 55 gallon they are gone by morning but in my 10 gallon i will have a ring left by the next day. For carrots i use canned cooked carrots and just drop them in and the snails go crazy over em.

how much does zuccini generally cost in stores off season? I asked my mom if she could pick me up some while she was out but she said it was too much... :?

usually around .89 each but may be 1-2 dollars at the most. Sometimes they sell packages of it but i always buy the single ones.

Yup, Mbuna's LOVE Zuc AND peas. Have her pick up a bag of frozen peas also. Nuke them in the microwave in water for 20 seconds, take off the outer shell and toss in the insides. They will go nuts, well, after they realize its food. :D And the bag of peas will last you a long time. Alot longer than a zuc.

Fishyfanatic said:
Yup, Mbuna's LOVE Zuc AND peas. Have her pick up a bag of frozen peas also. Nuke them in the microwave in water for 20 seconds,

Nonono....according to a few studies, microwaving strips veggies of nutrients....blanch with boiling water instead.

I never microwave myself. Just use hot water I use for making tea. I don't drink coffee, so I use the coffee pot to make hot water. Drop in a few peas for 30 seconds and they are good to go.

My julidochromis and kribensis seem to think that spinach is the bomb, so I am definitely going to try a zucchini.

And I am totally saving QTOFFER's recipe. Now I'm all hungry again.

Back
Top Bottom