How do you tell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkiegirl94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering...how do you tell male angelfish/gouramis from females? Because I am probably going to end up getting a few of each...but i want to stay away from egg laying and such as far as pissible. Lol Is it by coloration mostly? Thanks for the help~

Tank still cycling...day 4 now.

Male gourami dorsal fins are longer and more pointed. Females have shorter, rounded dorsals.

Dwarf Gouramis are usually Males. Females are plainer and mostly Silver.

Others, as was said, finnage, colors, body shape.

Angels are almost impossible to sex when young.

What size tank ???

I usually only recommend 1 Gourami per tank. Depending on tank size and Plants, etc...

A Pearl Gourami would be nice with Angels in a large enough tank.

Angels tend to pair up as they mature. Females lay eggs if they are healthy and happy. They are Cichlids. It's normal. Most eggs of any species will be eaten in a mixed tank, though a dedicated pair of Angels sometimes take over half the tank and raise babies. Early batches usually don't make it.

Don't stress about eggs. A big tank with plants and happy healthy fish is your goal :)

sharkiegirl94 said:
Well, i have a 30 gallon...and i wanted some Kissing Guoramis...same thing or...? Thanks for the advice~

No, they get BIG and may be nasty. The "kissing" is lip locking dominance fighting usually.
They get up to a foot long and should be in a much bigger tank !!
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile60.html

Google is your friend :)

And again, don't think of Gouramis plural. Think one Gourami. They aren't social with each other.
Fill in with a group of peaceful larger Tetras.

A 30g is small for Angels IMHO. They get really tall fins. I usually recommend 55g or bigger. A 30 is a nice sized tank, but perhaps think of smaller, more peaceful fish ?? Angels can get snarky in small spaces as they mature. The more space, the more peaceful they tend to be IME.

The Angel breeders recommend 10g per Angel without tankmates.

You can definitely try Angels. 2 or 3 at most. Make sure your filter flow doesn't knock them around and add live plants. Java Ferns are easy.

Good food and Clean water are super important for Angels to grow good fins.

Back
Top Bottom