How does this sound...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok so i am probly switching to sand this weekend(help on how to do that would be great lol) then i want to get plants like anubis and crypts...will they do ok in sand and with only 1.5 wpg? Its a 10 Gal tank. TIA

there are plants that'll survive under that meager amount of light. He must have a normal 15 watt fluorescent over that 10gallon.
java ferns, crypts, anubias species, java moss, and hornwort is all you'll be able to grow under that lighting.

malkore said:
java ferns, crypts, anubias species, java moss, and hornwort is all you'll be able to grow under that lighting.

I would go 2wpg for those guys....1.5wpg is a bit low, as far as I am concerned. Of course, a couple of compact spiral fluorescents will give you 3+ wpg.

my problem is i cant find anything over 15 watts. Where can i, but i dont want to have to pay a lot....??

tortis, I've actually had spectacular growth of java fern and crypts using a single 20 watt halogen desk lamp over a 15gallon tall. the java's did nothing but sprout plantlets (i turned 3 ferns into about...25, and tossed several more)

course I've been accused of having a wet-green thumb.

Anyhow, Newb...your options are either to overdrive your existing fixture (which I hear is simple, but I've never done it) or trade out the fixture for something beefier. You could build a little canopy and install normal screw-in sockets (cheap) and then use screw-in compact fluorescents...but try to get the U-shaped ones rather than the spirals.
Otherwise you'll have to drop close to $50 for a 28watt power compact fixture, and the ones I found don't come with a plant bulb, so that's another $18

malkore said:
You could build a little canopy and install normal screw-in sockets (cheap) and then use screw-in compact fluorescents...but try to get the U-shaped ones rather than the spirals.

This is more or less what I have done with a few tanks....but used standard Hagen 10 gallon incandescent canopies, and put in two 13 - 18 watt screw-in compact fluorescents (most are spirals, and the canopies are rated to 25 Watts/side)....gives you about 1330-1500 lumens, or about 133-150 lumens/gallon.

:D I've got to agree with malkore here Toirtis. I've got tremendous growth with just over 1 wpg in my low light 55. Crypts and Java fern especially. Pics in my gallery.

I too have used a 2 bulb screw-in fixture, and put power compact screw ins. the problem is the reflector is still crumby, so you're getting maybe 60% of the actual bulb's output into the tank. it's still a great idea though.
If you scope out my 15gallon tank in my sig, it's using one of those 10gallon, 2 bulb screw-in type fixtures. I run 3000K screw ins cuz I can't get cheap 6500K screw ins (our Wal-marts don't carry them, adn the LFS want's $12.99 for one 10watt 10,000K bulb)
so it's a yellow light, but as you can see that tanks full of java ferns, crypts, and even some moneywort that grows slowly but surely.

I think I paid $15 for that little fixture, but it only has enough clearance for the U-shape bulbs...a spiral is too big, at least in the brand I got (which I think is top-fin or all-glass).

I think we've explored your lighting options :)

yeah now i just need to deside, im on VERY tight budget cause of my no budget lol. so ill have to get a couple of bucks...well more than a couple..out of my parents. Maybe i can just upgrade what i have now? if so how would i go about doing this?

BrianNY said:
:D I've got to agree with malkore here Toirtis. I've got tremendous growth with just over 1 wpg in my low light 55. Crypts and Java fern especially. Pics in my gallery.

Java fern sure....but a grand total of 10w in a 10 gallon for crypts? I have a few on 2.5 WPG that are exploding, but always had them only just maintain a static existence under 1 WPG.

Back
Top Bottom